Thread: 2010 Tool Behavior

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default 2010 Tool Behavior

I'm noticing some erratic behavior in 2010. When I expand the Selection Tree control bar and it is using the Auto Hide behavior I find I can't click to select items without the control bar disappearing. I have to "pin" it to get normal behavior. Similarly I find that I can't click on Collision without Gravity or vice versa. I used to be able to toggle Collision off but leave Gravity active. I'm also finding really poor behavior navigating with Third Person on even in the sample files. It was fine a week ago and now it seems weird. Windows updates have been going nutty the last week so I might have a new fun problem to track down. Maybe a reboot will fixerup?

Anyone else seeing weird stuff?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: 2010 Tool Behavior

I can't even install it because it will kill AutoCAD 2008's ActiveX. (Don't ask me how it does that, but I've verified it.)
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Steve...I have had the similar function with the Selection Tree as well. It looks like it still selects the layer/object/etc, but hides the control bar. I've basically gotten in the habit of leaving it pinned open when I want to select elements or verify elements that were selected in the Viewpoint.

As for the Collision and Gravity...I think I might know what's going on. If you turn on Collision and Gravity for your walk-thru, then go to turn off Collision (which also turns off Gravity), but then go back and want to just turn on Collision, both will come back. If you instead turn off just Gravity, then turn off Collision, the next time you go to turn Collision back on, Gravity won't come on. It looks like when you turn off Collision with Gravity on as well, turning Collision back on remembers Gravity was on. Man, I hope that makes sense...

I haven't had too many issues with 3rd person during demo's and classes, it seems like it's much better in 2010 than 2009. What kind of issues are you having with the 3rd person?

Robert - We've run across something similar to this as well. It appears you have to at a minimum do a repair install of AutoCAD, if not a re-install. I've had it happen with a few support calls and that's about the only thing that will fix it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I created a keyboard shortcut for most of the common commands and flyout menus. This allows me to avoid the auto-hide and pinning scenarios mentioned. I can toggle on the selection tree and quickly hide when not in use.

I agree with Dwane that a repair is probaly the best medicine for fixing the ActiveX issue.

Now if we could just get the NWNAVIGATOR command to work in AutoCAD 64bit.......

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the responses glad to know it isn't just me on the selection control bar. The Auto-Hide function seems to fail to recognize mouse actions on top of it favoring closing the control bar instead.

I've played with click order for collision and gravity but haven't noticed the relationship you describe. I'll have to try it again to see if I notice it now. I've also used the menu options instead but with no joy. overanout!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Attached is a small video showing the click order that I tried describing. I haven't been able to confirm that this is happening on one of our classroom computers yet, but once I get back in the office I can see if it's just me or if it does the same on multiple computers.

By the way...doing the same click order in the pull-down or using the shortcut keys does the same thing.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dwane Lindsey View Post
    Robert - We've run across something similar to this as well. It appears you have to at a minimum do a repair install of AutoCAD, if not a re-install. I've had it happen with a few support calls and that's about the only thing that will fix it.
    I've performed both to no avail. VBA will appear to work until it hits certain parts of the ActiveX object model. Then it will fail to return valid objects.

This occurs even an uninstall/reinstall of AutoCAD MEP 2008.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    I've performed both to no avail. VBA will appear to work until it hits certain parts of the ActiveX object model. Then it will fail to return valid objects.

This occurs even an uninstall/reinstall of AutoCAD MEP 2008.
    With the uninstall/reinstall, make sure you go through the "clean reinstall" process. Other than that, I'd submit a SR to Autodesk if you haven't already. Unfortunately, working with VBA is a little out of my realm.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Dwane Lindsey View Post
    With the uninstall/reinstall, make sure you go through the "clean reinstall" process. Other than that, I'd submit a SR to Autodesk if you haven't already. Unfortunately, working with VBA is a little out of my realm.
    Oh, yeah, that's what I do. There was nothing left on the hard drive or in the registry before the reinstall. And I do have an active tech support case with Autodesk.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec