Thread: Texture Map

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Texture Map

Hi all,

I'd just like some input on how a proper texture map should be made.

My process so far is:

1. Take a nice pretty photo of a texture
    2. ... um... load it into a Revit material and pray it'll just about look right...

I've had a very short play with a program called MapZone2 - which seemed incredibly complicated and confusing without any tutorials etc...

So is there any other programs people are using? Is photoshop able to do everything you need to create a professional and fully working texture?

Any help much apreciated : )

p.s. - I'm off to the mountains for a while so won't be able to respond for a week or so!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Texture Map

Awesome...

I thought this might happen : )

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Cool Re: Texture Map

(Since you were "off to the mountains" I waited to reply.)

So--

Yes. Photoshop can do a great job of editing and improving maps and textures for use in Revit and/or 3dsMax.

In Revit 2010, go to Manage>Materials. Select a Material. Open the Render Appearance tab. This will show the current maps and textures and settings currently applied to that Material. Note things like Bump Map, for displacement, tiling, opacity, transparency, color, etc. These will vary widely according to the type of material you are using.

A nice easy way to make a new material is to select on from the Materials List,
    select Duplicate in the lower left of the dialog box, rename it and then you can browse
    to your brand new map ( which you can get from your digital camera or scanner )
    and adjust all the settings to suit your needs.

If you need to, open the map in Photoshop and adjust it--my advice here is be gentle
    and make very subtle adjustments. If the map is from a digital image from your camera,
    then best practice is to spend a lot of time planning the photo process--good lighting,
    correct exposure/F stop, focus, etc. i.e. garbage in garbage out. Use PS to slightly
    improve the results of an already outstanding photo, not "let's fix it in PS" mentality which is quite common, even among seasoned users.

Then, apply the new material to an object and render it. make not that lighting is crucial
    to understanding how the material displays when rendered. Natural and/or artificial light sources and their intensity, color, filter, etc. will drastically affect the way you materials look. So do not snap to judgement too quickly aout the material map itself, and the output
    render--they will not always "look the same"--then play with the exposure controls, which with some very fine adjustments will allow you to change the overall render appearance.

This topic can go on and on--so I have tried to be brief. Hope that helps a bit.

cheers..........

Login to Give a bone

There are some great tutorials about creating tileable maps here: http://www.cgtextures.com/content.php?action=tutorials . Aditionally it's a great resource for textures.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks cliff.

My main confusion is with getting the image to tile properly...

For instance - If I took a photo of a wall covered in Ivy, how on earth am I meant to get this random organic pattern to 'Tile' ?!

In photoshop I could trim the leafs so that there was an edge around a 4 sided 'Tile' of the Ivy - But these 4 sides would never fit together!

I saw some amazingly realistic textures built by the MapZone2 software - But it was the most complicated program I've attempted to use : |

I'll check out that link now Crosseyed, thanks : )

Login to Give a bone

A great tool is Crazybump but it is a little expensive...
    The same tool but much cheaper is ShaderMap. It has two versions, a free non UI version and a Pro (come on, it only costs 20€ so don't bother using the command line)
    I use ShaderMap pro and it is great... Also a nice support forum.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks dpasa - both of those look awesome for when I get to use 3ds max a bit more...

How do you go about getting an image to Tile correctly though?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

If you use the Offset filter in photoshop, then it brings all the seams into view. Then use the Clone tool to 'repair' the seams.

Login to Give a bone

Cool, thanks Tom - I'll have a play with that : )