Thread: Cost for Collision Testing

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Cost for Collision Testing

We have been providing our Electrical layouts (cable trays, feeders etc) in Autocad MEP format for various projects to the general contractor.
    We have been informed that we need to have our work sent to an outside provider for collison testing and have navis files created to provide to them also.
    My question is no one seems to know how much these services cost. And we have no idea since we dont use Navisworks.
    Does anyone have any cost for services for Navis work?
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Cost for Collision Testing

Whatever someone wants to charge. Sorry about the tongue-in-cheek reply, but that's really what it boils down to. There is no fixed cost for providing such a service.

You could purchase a single network seat of Navisworks Review to create the NWF/NWD files for $2,795.00 USD at the very worst.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

The full blown cost for Naviwsworks manage is about $12,000. I work for an Electrical
    contractor in Atlanta and the way the trend seems to be going you may just want to plan on purchasing this at some point.

You could also consider hiring an Architecht to provide converting your cad files to
    .nwd Navis files.

In the mean time Navisworks freedom viewer is free for viewing (only) Navis files.

Mike

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I would associate the cost of a full seat of Navisworks to the particular job that is REQUIRING you to post Navis files. I would also ASSOCIATE a Change Order for the full price if that REQUIREMENT isn't in the Bid specifications.

Hope that helps.

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Wink Re: Cost for Collision Testing

Hi! My recommendation is to buy a single seat of Navisworks Manage. I know it is expensive but here is what I ran into recently. One of my clients, a structural engineer received a call from the GC saying "Hey...Your Revit model and the Architect's model have over 4000 clashes and issues! When are you going to fix these!".
    I walked him through how Navisworks does clash detection and in all probability the GC did not set up the clash test appropriately, so there was not 4000 issues. Essentially, he is getting a copy so he can come to the table with the GC and not spend time trying to fix errors which really do not exist. This is a business issue. The power is in the hands of the people using the software. I would get a copy for your own piece of mind and not hand this over to someone else. Even if they end up hiring someone else to do the clash reports, you can say, well what are you setting your tolerances to and what rules are you applying to the batch test?
    I hope this helps!
    Best regards,

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Seems some people are getting a little ahead of themselves. If the models are being sent *out* for clash detection, then there is no need for the expensive Manage license. The only thing required is a much cheaper Review license so files can be published to NWD format. If that works out, then you can check to see if the budget has enough flex for a Manage license and start doing it for yourself. Just be prepared to add additional time to the project budget for this process.