Thread: Ecotect for LEED EA credit 1

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Ecotect for LEED EA credit 1

Has anyone used Ecotect for LEED EA credit 1? I am trying to establish a building baseline as required by ASHRAE 90.1-2004, but Ecotect seems to require more information than what is provided by ASHRAE. For example, ASHRAE provides a u-value and a SHGC for windows. In the Ecotect windows material properties, much more information is required. Should I leave these blank? Also, does the analysis provided all the results required for submission? Thus far, in my one week working in Ecotect, it is my understanding that for LEED it is best to export to software geared more for LEED documentations. Programs like EnergyPlus or eQuest, to name a few. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ecotect for LEED EA credit 1

I think ecotect is not suit for LEED EA creadit 1, because it's accurancy is not enough. I know many of My friends use eQuest and IESVE for this popurse.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ecotect for LEED EA credit 1

EA Credit 1 is Energy.

Ecotect thermal analysis is primarily used to understand heating and cooling loads, not the energy which goes to dealing with these loads. Once you add in equipment, lighting, hot water, fans etc, you'll find that heating and cooling is usually responsible for 1/4 to 1/2 of energy use. The architectural design decisions greatly impact the heating and cooling loads, as well as the lighting loads if you use daylight dimming. The rest of the energy use is determined/calculated by the engineer, or an integrate AE team (ideal). Ecotect is a design tool, which is why it doesn't easily calculate overall energy use.

Currently there is not a workflow that is recognized as being successful for both design analysis and LEED EA1. Many energy modeling programs are working out the kinks and I'm hoping for an obvious solution from at least one of these by the end of the year.