Thread: Which comes first, the type or the catalog?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Which comes first, the type or the catalog?

I think I've seen it both ways so now I'm confused. Do I create the types in the family editor and just use the catalog to help with loading them into the family? Or do I load up the family with all the options and not seperate them into types but use the type catalog to define they types based on the options desired (in my case not by size but by yes/no visibility parms)?

Advantage/disadvantage of one over the other is it's a preference decision?

Thanks.

All AUGI, all the time eddy.lermytte's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Which comes first, the type or the catalog?

W-BIM
    My final Rfa's - Type Catalog combo's have as less as possible Types in the Rfa.
    In many cases only one "Type A" is provided and the other are defined based on options choosen on project level by using the Type Catalog.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eddy.lermytte View Post
    W-BIM
    My final Rfa's - Type Catalog combo's have as less as possible Types in the Rfa.
    In many cases only one "Type A" is provided and the other are defined based on options choosen on project level by using the Type Catalog.
    So let's seee if I understand you correctly Eddy. In yoiur family you create on basic type, "Type A". In that type every option is checked on as a default. Then in your type catalog you define more types by listing them in the catalog?

I am trying to get away from check boxes in the project but rather automate the proecess "this type come with these options" and "this type comes with these other options". Right now my catalog looks like this:
    So you are saying that I dont need to specify any of my types except for parhaps the most loaded up one and the .txt file will automate the rest?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

General rule of thumb - >6-10 types is easier to manage with a Type Catalog (TC). Keep in mind easier is a personal perception. I find it tedious to select a type and carefully scan the parameters to check values when there are more types than less.

What often happens is several types get created as the family is created and then later a TC seems a better choice and one is created. The original types don't always get removed to leave just one default type. The other side of the coin is that many families that could benefit from a TC don't have them because the person who created the family is either not comfortable with them or doesn't even realize they could use them.

Fundamentally a family needs all the parameters you intend to offer/change with a TC. The family just needs to have a single type defined to do this, though technically if you don't define a type you get an undefined type to use.

It is a good habit to define one type in a family anyway because when this family is reloaded in a project an actual type will update properly where an undefined type will be left behind in the project when an actual type is used. For example when my family MyDoor.rfa has no type the Browser will display:

Doors (category)
    MyDoor (Family)
    ___MyDoor (type)

When I get around to creating a door Type A I'll end up with:

Doors (category)
    MyDoor (family)
    ___MyDoor (default type)
    ___A (my new type)

If I've placed the MyDoor default type I'll have to be careful to replace it with the new type A otherwise the early testing version will persist.

More than you asked for maybe...
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2009-08-28 at 07:02 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Wow Steve! Thanks so much for all this information! I am from the camp that more information usually helps me make a better decision than less info even if it's more than I asked for. Your last paragraph was really important for me to know so that you very much again. I am going to give it a go and see what happens!

p.s. I was one of the ones you mentioned that didn't want to use a TC because I didn't feel comfotable but there comes a time when you got to put on your big girl/guy shoes and jump right in anyhow!