Thread: REVIT MEP 2010 Electrical Loads

Login to Give a bone

Default REVIT MEP 2010 Electrical Loads

I have been using AutoCAD MEP for some time and I am confortable using it. But I started practicing on REVIT, since I have to be ready to change when the architects I work with switch. I have been able to create circuits panel schedules etc. But have the follwing questions:
    How do you add different types of Load clasifications? the software has only "other", "Power", "lighting" and "HVAC" how about Kitchen Eq. load? etc. I have not found information in any tutorial or help files.
    The panel schedules created don't show load calculations as AutoCAD MEP.How do you include the load calcs with the panel schedule?

Thanks for the help

All AUGI, all the time mwiggins121466's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: REVIT MEP 2010 Electrical Loads

Currently you can not.
    Margaret Wiggins
    Revit MEP 2006 and Greater
    Electrical Designer
    Detroit, Michigan
    wigginsm@yahoo.com

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that you can't change any of that.
    I guess I will not be switching to REVIT until Autodesk fixes that.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

if you can't change or ad load categotries to a Revit project, then the electrical portion of REVIT MEP is usless. How are you going to include Motor Loads, Kitchen Equipment load? with a generic HVAC load clasification how do you distinguish between Cooling or Heating loads that are non concurrent?
    In addition the fact that you can't display load claculations in the panel scheudles makes the electrical portion of REVIT MEP useless.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Revit does have a lot of issues with demand load but you can accomplish what you want with a little bit of manual entry and formula creation. Take a look at this post to get a better idea. http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=106298

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for your response. I have checked the thread and the image of the panel posted there. It is unfortunate that REVIT does not have the same features as AutoCAD MEP, in which the panel schedule can be customized and you can ad different load categories. Keeping two schedules, or worse create your panel schedules manually defeats the purpose of using the software. When you are working on very small projects with one or two panels it probably would be O.K. but if you have a larger system with distribution panels and lots of sub panels it is very diffcult to keep track of load changes.
    I hope that AutoDesk will take note of this and improve the electrical portion of REVIT 2010, the same way they improved the electrical portion of AutoCAD MEP 2009.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

I didn't get a chance to work with ACAD MEP I jumped straight from CAD to Revit, but I would assume as far as load and demands go you still would have to make some manual manipulations at least once. The screenshots I had posted are intelligent fields and will auto update. They pull in the connected load from the panel and consist of calculated fields that generate the amps just like if it were done in excel. There is only a single point of manual entry and it comprises of determining the largest HVAC load on the panel and typing that in a hidden field everything else calculates automatically to generate the connected amps/demand load/demand load. Furthermore this schedule can be simply copy and pasted and the filter changed and it's ready to go for another panel. I also use a master schedule to fill in the information so that it is in once place for all panels. For situations with lots of panels. This process is being used on a project with 40+ panels. It really isn't a long process. The alternative of copy pasting from outside of Revit and having a truly non-intelligent schedule is going to be much more work, in my opinion.

They key to Revit is not to expect Revit to do everything for you, some things you have to generate yourself.