Thread: Element Properties

Login to Give a bone

Default Element Properties

What determines which parameters revit exports as element properties to QTO (.dwf format)? I have applied some custom parameters to model elements.... some get transfered to QTO (.dwf) some don't. Also, there are some native revit parameters that get transfered as properties to QTO and others don't. I have exported to .nwc format and all the parameters are aparent in NavisWorks format. I need to see the parameters because that determines how the elements are organized in the catalog.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Element Properties

Great question - wish I had an answer. I know from speaking with our in-house programmer that the information that gets exposed within the API (application programming interface) is not as detailed as you might expect. I know all parameters do not get included in the ODBC output either. Perhaps Autodesk can weigh in on this question. The issue of custom parameter behaviour is certainly important to this process.

Login to Give a bone

I created a 3D DWF in Revit. After bringing it into QTO and doing a Model Takeoff I assign a linear, area or volume type and no Qtys appear. I welcome any suggestions.

David Hough
    LeChase Construction
    Rochester, NY

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I can't answer for QTO but ODBC output includes only shared parameters... so it might apply to DWF too... For ODBC you must add the shared parameter in the project at the very least, not just the the family. If it's in the family but not added to the project it will not get exported to ODBC.

Login to Give a bone

These are all shared parameters and some come through and some don't. Also, some of the native revit parameters come through while others don't. All of these properties are visible in a nwc export to NavisWorks though so I'm wondering what determines export functionality in dwf.

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Can you determine if it is a specific type of parameter (i.e. yes/no or integer or other) that are not being exported. If so, maybe you can gear your parameter definitions toward that restriction. Not always feasible though.

Login to Give a bone

It has been a while since using QTO due to the Graphics problem that I had and found a solution on AUGI forum just this week. I had used only the 3D DWF, no 2D DWFs. I republished the 3D DWF using Revit 2010 ( I usually use Revit 2009 ) with Rooms and Areas and all went well getting Qtys.

Login to Give a bone

I think I figured it out.

Even if the parameter is shared and you have also included it as a project parameter it will only appear in QTO if there is at least 1 non empty value for this parameter in your project.
    If you've not used the parameter i.e all values for it are blank for some reason it does not appear in QTO.
    Just tested this on my QTO trial
    Regards