Thread: Walls intersecting columns?

Login to Give a bone

Default Walls intersecting columns?

Hi. I'm fairly new to Revit, actually I'm still in the learning process. For the last month I've been trying to set up a template for the company I'm working for. All went well and the more I understood the program the more I liked it, but I stumbled over a problem which I just could not figure out, so I thought it would not hurt to ask.
    When a masonry wall intersects a concrete column the column is automatically joined with the wall or a warning appears saying that "One element is completely inside another.". My question is: Can I set the elements proprieties so that when the wall "hits" a structural column the wall is cut out where the column is? If yes... can I go further and ask that, when a wall intersects a column can it intersect like in the drawings attached?
    Hoping that my english was not to bad and that my questions were understood I'm waiting for opinions. We would really need this "detail" to work for a clean technical representation and an accurate material takeoff schedule.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Walls intersecting columns?

Structural Column will cut the wall while Architectural Column will join it. Structural Column shouldn't give you the totally encloed warning.

Login to Give a bone

10x dhurtubise for the tip . I have noticed that the priority level of structural elements is higher that the priority of non-bearing elements. The problem by me was that some of my walls were set as bearing, having the same priority as the structural column.
    That being settled could anyone help me with my wall detail? Can the wall be set so it intersects with the structural columns like in the illustration I've attached?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I don't think you could get rid of the line between the wall insulation and the column insulation automatically but you sure can create a column with that shape.