Thread: AutoCAD Quick Interview

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD Quick Interview

I know this has been posted before by others, probably from the same school. However, I think it is only fair to my instructor (and myself) I ask these questions. I just have a few questions relating to AutoCad. I am getting a little more insight into the world of design! Currently I am an interior design student at the Art Institutes. Any help would be awesome, thanks!

Q1: When do you use CAD in the production process (i.e. preliminary design, design development, etc.)

Q2: What types of standardization you use.

Q3: What are the advantages or disadvantages that CAD brings to your practice.

Q4: Can AutoCAD be used as effectively for designing as it is used for reading construction documents? Can you provide examples to support ideas?

Q5: Do you use Modelspace and Paperspace? If so what are the advantages of doing this. If you did not use model space and paper space, what changes would have to be made to your drawings and what problems do you foresee if you have to go back and edit these?

If the you does not use modelspace and paperspace identify why it is not used by your firm.

Q6: If the you use modelspace and paperspace: Since every AutoCAD drawing is usually created on a scale of 1:1, won't the scale hinder you as a designer in terms of sheet layout? Why or why not? Can you provide logical examples to support your answer.

Q7: Do you have any tips for new users or key time saving commands?

Q8: Do you think there are any ways that AutoCad may be improved?

Digital Delivery Director Brian Myers's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD Quick Interview

I know this isn't your fault (they are for a class) but I feel I should mention this because they seem to be asked every year... it seems these questions are outdated. For example, I've been using AutoCAD for 20 years. Most companies in our field have been using it for over 10 years, likely much more, at least at some level of production. Point being, if we replaced the word CAD with Pencil in most of these questions we would be scratching our heads at the value these questions provide in the educational process. CAD is the pencil of this generation. I know entry level designers (with Master's degrees) that have NEVER produced CD's with a Pencil at any level of education or in the field. CAD is all they know.

For question 1: I use CAD in virtually all stages, CAD is excellent for working with everything from the building footprint on the site to determining the sf of the structure and spaces.

question 2. The key to 'standards" is the ability to leverage the information as well as the ability to best communicate it with graphical representation. Standards are sometimes "standard" across project teams in order to best leverage the information by everyone but (perhaps) most importantly to keep everyone on the same page in terms of the final output of the documentation.

question 3: Leveraging standardized data across the project teams... perhaps allowing automation of certain tasks... and the original advantage, expediting the revision and duplication process

question 4: See question 1. Yes, it can be very effective but straight up CAD is less "inclusive". In other words, regular CAD can be used to create CD's 100% but few people use CAD as 100% of their design process.

5-6: Items are drawn full size in Model space and scaled in paperspace. It allows for easier drawing and documentation.

7-8 This isn't true for all projects, but really if you are looking for time savings and ways to improve AutoCAD (in architecture and interior design) then go to a BIM software environment. It allows you to draw and design in 3D and leverage information (quantity take-offs, finish schedules, coordinated docs, energy analysis, visualization, etc) better than any CAD software today.

Don't get me wrong, I love CAD and was always one of the best CAD drafters/designers in any department I was in... but there are more efficient ways to do the majority of available projects today once we discuss projects of any real scope. CAD is just the first step in the learning process of design communication, much like "twirling the pencil" to keep it sharp or "sticky backs" were used on documentation back in the day (two items/things I've not worried about in many years and you likely may have no idea what they are... but I bet your instructor does).

Login to Give a bone

I hate the word "leverage" used as a verb.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Im from Canada bc and i also have class interview questions for only canadien employers or employees, 5 of each and maximum two from each company(employer and employee).If u reside in british Colombia that would be even better Plis heeelp

FIRST PART EMPLOYEE INTERVIEW Occupation being researched
    (Autocad drafting technician)

Date of Contact: In person By phone E-mail

Company Name:
    Contact Name:
    Contact Position:
    Contact Phone Number: Email:

1. Why did this type of work interest you?

2. What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job?

3. What do you like about your job?

4. What don't you like about your job?

5. a) What training / education / certification do you have?

b) At what school did you attend training?

c) Would you recommend it? If not, which school would you recommend?

6. a) How did you get this position? (By training / certification / qualifications or promotion?)

b) How long have you been in the field?

7. a) What are the opportunities for advancement in this field? b) What is the career path?

8. How is technology impacting the nature of your work?

9. What is the employment outlook in this area?

10. Who can you recommend me to talk to?

SECOND PART EMPLOYER

EMPLOYER INTERVIEW Occupation being researched
    (Auto cad drafting technician)

Date of Contact: In person By phone E-mail

Company Name:
    Contact Name:
    Contact Position:
    Contact Phone Number: Email:

1. What skills and personal qualities are necessary for this job?

2. a) What training / certification is required for the occupation?

b) Is there any other certification required to work in the occupation (e.g. Class 4 driving license)?

3. Would you recognize training provided by ________________________ school (student's choice)?

4. What are the current opportunities in the field for qualified entry level individuals?
    0 Good 0 Average 0 Poor

5. In your opinion, what is the future employment outlook in this area?

6. What changes do you foresee as being the most dramatic in this field in the next several years?

7. How is the current economy affecting this industry?

8. a) What is the entry-level position? b) What is the wage range?

9. What is the work schedule like (shift work, graveyards, afternoon shifts, on-call)?

10. Is there any other information that I need to know about this occupation?

11. Who can you recommend me to contact?
    Last edited by tyronesmith31; 2010-10-28 at 09:50 PM.