Thread: grading prism around wingwall

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default grading prism around wingwall

So I'm fairly new to C3D, trying to figure it all out. Currently using 2009 with a jump to 2010 coming soon.

I'm working on a couple of bridge projects where I need to show proposed grading around and in front of wingwalls. When I use a 3D polyline to add to the surface (corridor surface) as a wall breakline it gets wonky. It creates the wall breakline, but then it takes my corridor surface and grades over the top of the wall and down to the existing surface.

I'd like to find a way to tell it to grade for me from the corner of the wall at a given elevation at a 2:1 parallel to the wall face to existing, and also a 2:1 away from the wall face to existing (creating the typical prism you find in these situations). Is this at all possible? The time I've spent trying to figure this out I could have just figured it out by hand and drawn in some lines for limits of fill.

I wanted to attach some pictures to show you guys the wall vs the proposed limits from the corridor, results of adding the wall breakline, etc but the site doesn't seem to want to play nice. Does the photobucket/IMG html code insertion work on this board for pictures?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: grading prism around wingwall

Corridors can only grade perpendicular to your baseline (or an offset alignment).

You may either need to change your corridor definition here, or use the corridor to create a "working surface", to which you then add the detention pond features.

Not sure why you would have trouble posting a picture. What format of picture? PNG works well, as does JPG. (Try to avoid file formats that create large file sizes, such as BMP.)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: grading prism around wingwall

i agree with sinc here. i have been having my fair share of trouble with grading retaining walls. the best advice i can give is to work with small surfaces and use the "paste Surface" feature. basically what i would do is create the surface from the corridor first. then create a new surface for the retaining wall. and then create a third "composite" surface and paste the surface for the corridor into it followed by the surface for the retaining wall.

I am fast learning that with surfaces, it is all in the workflow and understanding that flow.