Thread: Search Takeoff

Login to Give a bone

Default Search Takeoff

I'm trying to do a searth takeoff and when trying to select the appropriate item on the canvas the selection keeps going to a "sub part" of the element I want so there are no properties available. The selection capability in QTO seems to be limited to a one pick selection so I can't seem to select the element I need.

Also, regarding selection. Is there a way to change the selection color of the object. I have a color coded model so I need to change the selection color from the default yellow to something that is more apparent (I have yellow objects in my model). Is there a way to override model colors or have model in grayscale and selection still in color?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Search Takeoff

Try these steps.
    Autodesk Quantity Takeoff, QTO v2010
    Select Search Takeoff
    Select a sample item that you wish to quantify. I selected a Pile Cap, PC4 on a Foundation Plan.
    From the Search Takeoff window select the Item Type (Count) and Property (Family Name) that you would like to search by and match.
    Select Search
    I now have 10 each PC4s. I can Right-Click the PC4 in the Takeoff window and select Select All Objects to see where they are.
    It appears that you can only set the color for the Takeoff Item Property as it uses the shape of the object rather than the Symbol that might be selected.

Be sure to try the 3D DWF Model Takeoff feature of QTO. This is where the real power of the QTO is. I have attached a 3D DWF that I created by copying a SmartBIM Space Revit File several times.

See the attached PDFs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Search Takeoff

David,

Thank you for the reply with images and .dwf. Much appreciated. I'm on the 30-day trial of QTO right now trying to pilot it on a simple structural concrete project. I included a couple of images also to highlight my dilema. For some reason more than 50% of the drilled piers have come in with some sort of "sub part". So when I go to the search takeoff and try and select, I don't get any of the drilled pier properties (image 1). I can't figure out a way to select the higher level pier that contains the properties... I tried selecting the "sub part" and hiding that, but it hides the entire pier. You can also see the piers in the model are yellow that's why I was hoping to change the selection highlight color to something more apparent.

I like the suggestion to do the 3D model takeoff. That would be my preferred method if there was then a way to filter those items by design properties. Unfortunately it looks like the filter at that point is only good for takeoff descriptions and that is not enough detail for me. That is why I attempted the search takeoff. However, even the search takeoff apparently forces you to an element type level. It would be nice if you could search the the entire model and group things per any parameter even across families, but in my case I need to group things at the family level and it doesn't seem possible. I have assigned a parameter area #.pour # (image 2) that I wanted to sort by. Apparently, the search is limited to within the type.

Do you know of any way I could organize my takeoff with a search that would work at that higher level... group all items in area 1.01 for example across families or within a family?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gdb; 2009-09-18 at 04:22 PM.