Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a new category in schedules

Login to Give a bone

Default Creating a new category in schedules

I need to make a exhaust fan schedule for HVAC, but wasn't able find away to make a new schedule category just for exhaust fans. This is my first attempt at making a schedule. I picked mechanical equipment as my category when I started my attempt in creating one , but I don't want ALL mech equipment on one schedule. I want to break down the schedules to so when I want exhaust fans, only exhaust fans, or possibly all fans, are scheduled! Same goes for pumps, steam traps, heat exchangers, and so on. Thanks in advance for any solution offered.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Creating a new category in schedules

Quote Originally Posted by cpinckney View Post
    I need to make a exhaust fan schedule for HVAC, but wasn't able find away to make a new schedule category just for exhaust fans. This is my first attempt at making a schedule. I picked mechanical equipment as my category when I started my attempt in creating one , but I don't want ALL mech equipment on one schedule. I want to break down the schedules to so when I want exhaust fans, only exhaust fans, or possibly all fans, are scheduled! Same goes for pumps, steam traps, heat exchangers, and so on. Thanks in advance for any solution offered.
    To make a schedule with only exhaust fans, make a mechanical equipment schedule and use a filter to show only the exhaust fans (what we do is set the Type Mark of the exhaust fans to "EF", then apply a filter on the schedule to show only the mechanical equipment where type mark equals EF).

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by timsea81 View Post
    To make a schedule with only exhaust fans, make a mechanical equipment schedule and use a filter to show only the exhaust fans (what we do is set the Type Mark of the exhaust fans to "EF", then apply a filter on the schedule to show only the mechanical equipment where type mark equals EF).
    This is the way to do it. In order to keep consistency, we use a shared parameter called "Designation" and apply it to all our components. This way we can use the same filter for every schedule, only changing the value of the Designation parameter as required.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cporter.207875 View Post
    This is the way to do it. In order to keep consistency, we use a shared parameter called "Designation" and apply it to all our components. This way we can use the same filter for every schedule, only changing the value of the Designation parameter as required.
    This is a good idea. I'm going to try it on our next project. Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

This is a very good suggestion. I may have to work on implementing this.

Login to Give a bone

I have done this for the practice I work for. We have standard schedules for boilers, fans, grilles etc. All these schedules were created in the RMEP template, and they use filtering in the same way as the user above using "designation". If I were so lucky as to get a rfa file from a supplier, i would add the standard shared parameters to it (for that type of equipment), and entering the data or setting it equals to another parameter. This means when it is used in any project, it will be picked up in the schedule straight away. It was alot of work up front, but it was necessary, and massively time saving and impressive to all new comers to Revit.

The template file size doesn't get much bigger, yet there are 30 or so schedules with prob 10-20 parameters each. I feel this is really what Revit does best...

Login to Give a bone

Thats what we do, though we call it "Equipment Type". Also comes in handy if you want to add visual aid (color certain types of fans) filters on your floor plans.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

Login to Give a bone

Thank you for your suggestions. Very helpful! Now I have another question pertaining to schedules. When you create a schedule, how do/can you sub categorize them by discipline? When I look in the project browser, the schedules are in alphabetical order. How can you get the schedules to all group to the same discipline. I can rename them with a discipline header, ie: Mech - EXHAUST FANS, but with that said, the title of the schedule comes in with that discipline in the header when I post it to the sheet drawing, I dont want that. Any valuble tips is most welcomed.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cpinckney View Post
    Thank you for your suggestions. Very helpful! Now I have another question pertaining to schedules. When you create a schedule, how do/can you sub categorize them by discipline? When I look in the project browser, the schedules are in alphabetical order. How can you get the schedules to all group to the same discipline. I can rename them with a discipline header, ie: Mech - EXHAUST FANS, but with that said, the title of the schedule comes in with that discipline in the header when I post it to the sheet drawing, I dont want that. Any valuble tips is most welcomed.
    There might be a better solution than what I'm thinking, but you could go ahead and name the schedule with a discipline prefix for browser grouping. Next, uncheck the box to "Show Title" in the schedule's appearance properties. Last, group all of your fields so that you have a blank row at the top of the schedule where you can type whatever title you want.

Just a first thought.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the advice, but as Dr. McCoy of Star Trek said "It's worked so far, but we're not out yet."
    How do you set different font type & size of individual headers in a schedule. For example: on an "Air Handeling Unit" schedule, I want the main title header to be big & bold while the other headers not as big & NOT bold and the font for the input entites at another font size. Am I asking to much of Revit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast