Thread: Software Application Function Differences

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Software Application Function Differences

Hello to all:

Can anyone explain what is the difference in capabilities between other vertical software like Auto-Desk Architecture, Auto-CAD Rivet, Auto-CAD Rivet Architecture, Autodesk Inventor, Autodesk 3D Max compared to plain Auto-CAD are all of the above mentioned are capable of doing same functions on both 2D and 3D application?

Thanks,

Ted
    Auto-CAD User.

All AUGI, all the time brian.hailey933139's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Software Application Function Differences

Wow, that's a big question to answer. Basically, AutoCAD is a generic drafting program (i.e. replacing pen and paper) and the others are industry specific drafting/design programs. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

Login to Give a bone

Auto"desk" Revit, Autodesk Inventor and Autodesk 3D Max are not built on the AutoCAD software and each has a different file format. They can open/import a dwg file format and save as dwg but their native format is not the dwg files. Like AutoCAD Civil3D and AutoCAD Architecture they do have have their own custom objects that lose their functionability when saved as a dwg. There's also AutoCAD Mechanical that is built on AutoCAD and uses the dwg format as well.
    Autodesk 3D Max is more of a rendering and visualization program than a design program. Although you can create files from scratch it's used more for taking a design already created and turning it into a better render video or still file.
    The Revit and Inventor families do have what is called a Suite than can contain standard AutoCAD, AutoCAD Architecture, and Revit -Structural, Revit MEP, & Revit Architecture, or for the Inventor Suite with AutoCAD, AutoCAD Mechanical, Inventor Pro, and Inventor Simulator, or a combination of the software bundled just about anyway Autodesk thinks you need it.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Software Application Function Differences

Sorry for just responding on the Question I posted way back October, 2009. It’s been a while since I’ve been to the AUGI forum prior to AU-2009.
    Base on Brian and JMurphy’s reply and explanation on the subject, It’s getting clear in my mind what each program are capable of doing either design or rendering and visualization. Do I need to invest more software to support my prime AutoCAD software that is a generic drafting program per Brian in order for me to create an impressive design, presentation and rendering for any project to impress my client?

Thanks,

Ted
    Auto-CAD 2008 User.

Login to Give a bone

What line of work are you in?

Since you're posting in this newsgroup, I presume you are a Civil engineer...?

In that case, Autodesk's product-of-choice is Civil 3D. I know of some Civil firms that try to use plain Autocad or even Autocad LT, but I don't really understand how they do anything. And truth be told, when pressed, they typically reveal they are working at a very low level. And on further questioning, I usually find out they spend LOTS and LOTS of time doing tasks that I do very quickly with C3D.

There is also Autodesk Civil, but we have not found the Civil product to be ideal for anyone but Project Managers who mostly need to look at drawings, and occasionally jump in and make small changes or do small tasks. Your mileage may vary; we're still trying to figure out where Autodesk is going with the Civil product. Autodesk says it's ideal for Surveyors, but we couldn't see using it. But we may be somewhat unusual in that we use C3D at a pretty high level, and we use a fair bit of Map functionality, and the Civil product is lacking too many features (especially the Drawing Cleanup tools).

You can do rudimentary renderings directly from C3D, but it is difficult to control them, and the features are very limited. For 2009, you could download Impression from the Subscription Site, which gives you some more control over appearance, but not a lot. (Don't know if this is still available for 2010 Subscription customers or not...)

But to do things to really wow a client, you pretty much need an additional piece of software. You still use C3D for your modeling.

Then you can use something like 3DSMax to make impressive images.

You can also use something like NavisWorks to create visualizations, animations, project timelines, etc. NavisWorks is designed to create these things from a variety of sources, and can combine output from many different programs to create 3D-worlds much like a video game, where you can travel around in your "world" and create animations, including things like time-lapsed animations that show the project timeline, etc. NavisWorks can also detect design collisions between elements created in different software (such as a Civil design created in Civil 3D and architectural items created in Revit). Just beware that NavisWorks does not integrate easily with C3D, and you can get much better results with NavisWorks if you create your C3D elements in specific ways that take some amount of training (or a lot of experience with both products).

There is also a rather impressive product called DynamiteVSP, which I believe was recently acquired by Autodesk. It lets you do things like create animations by hooking a vehicle to a feature line in your C3D corridor and setting it's "drive speed", etc.

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Re: Software Application Function Differences

I don’t even notice that my question was posted and catch SINC attention in this environment forum. I am a CE earned outside US. But my line of work here is Facility Engineer using Auto-CAD for Architectural related work.
    Would it be possible if we can just stick to one Autodesk Product -of-choice? If your line of work is Civil Works related invest in Civil 3D, for Architectural related either Auto-CAD Architecture or Rivet Architecture, 3D Max for animation and rendering and Auto-CAD for Universal 2d and some minor 3D type of work.

Ted
    Auto-CAD User

Login to Give a bone

Everybody is different. It depends on exactly what you want to do.

If you're in Architecture, then the AutoCAD Architecture might be what you want. Or maybe one of those suites that Murph mentioned. If you talk with your reseller, they should be able to give you guidance on which product would suit your needs best.