Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scheduling Curtain Wall Doors

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Default Scheduling Curtain Wall Doors

Here is what we are running into:

When we schedule our typical double doors (punched openings), I have the schedule set up to read 2 3'-0" 7'-0" where each value is a separate column. Conventionally this might have read as (2) 3'-0" x 7'-0". When our double doors for storefronts show up in the schedule it reads as 2 6'-0" 7'-0". I realize the size of the opening is driven by the clear distance between mullions, but this has raised the concern of some project managers. They interpret this as the contractor is to provide (2) 6' x 7' door leafs for that opening and I tend to agree. What I have been suggesting is that we replace the 2 with a dash or an asterisk and provide a note in the remarks column to clarify these conditions.

Then I get, "why does Revit have to be so difficult"; "we never had these problems in AutoCAD;" "I thought Revit was supposed to make this easier"; blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

How are others scheduling their storefront/ curtain wall doors?

Thanks

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Scheduling Curtain Wall Doors

We schedule Total Width, Panel 1 Width, and Panel 2 Width. That way we can have doors with uneven panels.

With CW doors, you cant do this, since you cant have hard width constraints in the CW family. so they have a Total Width, then a blank P1W and P2W, and they get Comments to see the "Door Type" which will reflect that the 6'0 is actually a double curtain wall door.

And then i tell PM's to get off the bus if they cant take the bad with all the good Revit gives them.

Login to Give a bone

We show the width and height.....but in the panel type we show PR for Pair...

So a curtain wall door could show up as 6' - 8" wide by 7'-0" high and PR FG for the panel types for example....

All of our regular double doors will show up as the inside frame size as well.....thus we don't to say 2 - 3'-0"x7'-0" doors on the schedule...it would show up as 6'-0" x 7'-0"
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

What do contractors think of this? It's pretty different from what I'm used to seeing but I like the consistency. Right now we're doing a mixture and I'm dissatisfied to say the least.

Login to Give a bone

Whose method?

So far the contractors we have been working with like it.....way better than when we used to say 3'-0" x 7'-0" and a note saying 2 Pair 3'-0" doors....
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

we replace the panel with a wall and insert a frameless door into the wall. This allows our schedule to still read correctly. Not saying it's a perfect solution but has worked well on 3 projects and eliminates the need for a note saying this is a pair of doors.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cj_follmer View Post
    we replace the panel with a wall and insert a frameless door into the wall. This allows our schedule to still read correctly. Not saying it's a perfect solution but has worked well on 3 projects and eliminates the need for a note saying this is a pair of doors.
    Ive heard of that solution as well, and im all for it... IF you can get it to read correctly in Plan and Elevation. Getting the wall the right size so that it doesnt show up, etc.

Login to Give a bone

I took the time to create a "door" panel...It uses the family type parameter to switch in between different panel types as well as populating our door schedule...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    I took the time to create a "door" panel...It uses the family type parameter to switch in between different panel types as well as populating our door schedule...
    Right, those are what most of us are using. The issue is, if you have a "Double CW Door" Panel, which a lot of us have, you cant constrain or otherwise dimension the actual panel widths... Since CW panel widths are dictated by Curtain Grids and are all instances.

But thats what we do as well.

Login to Give a bone

Ok....I see where your getting at....you just need to know to add whatever the distance you need to the curtain grid lines to make the door work the way you want to.....I usually lock the grids with a dimension once in place. So if my mullions are 2" wide and I want 6' wide doors then the grids would lock at 6'-2".

What I am saying about my door panel, its a curtain wall panel converted into a door.....so it actually shows up as Curtain Panels for a family category, but still populates the door schedule.

I used to use actual door panels from the door category.....but this way works better....I have a double version of the same thing and never have any issues dimensioning them to the correct sizes.
    Michael "MP" Patrick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast