Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading Autocad software onto wonderful Vista

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Loading Autocad software onto wonderful Vista

Hi Guys,

I have another problem which is really pretty frustrating, I have recently purchased a new laptop that includes the wonderful problem free shiny Microsoft Vista.

What can I say, It just does not allow any software (espeacially Autodesk) to be loaded on at all. I find myself constantly trawling the internet looking for the various error messages and how to fix them (none have worked) so I will list some things I have tried here and hopefully you guys can give me some sound advice (other than loading windows 3.1 onto the computer)

It started with Autodesk MEP 2010, it loaded on absolutely fine no problems and went through to the registration screen (which I did not have to hand at that time). However the next time I tried to load it up to input the information it came up with this message:-

C;/ acad.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

Now I looked at this fantastic log but could see nothing useful that would help me solve the problem. It did said the following:-

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Windows\system32\AcSignIcon.dll". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="9.0.21022.8" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

now I tried to run sxstrace.exe but it did not work either, I then searched the internet and found that many mentioned loading VC++ Redistributable package 2005 - 2008 which did not seem to work.

Now to cap it all off I loaded on Autocad 2010 last night and then tried to open it to register etc and this is what I got:-

C;/ acad.exe

The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

Yes I haven't seen that message before!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm starting to wonder if it would be worthwhile taking it somewhere to have Windows XP loaded on rather than Vista, I think its Vista Home Premium.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Loading Autocad software onto wonderful Vista

Here at work we upgraded to 64 bit Vista. The only problem I have run into has related to Vista's security(?) feature which requires you to 'run as administrator' when installing. You must right click the start icon and select the 'run as administrator' option. I know you are in the administrator account, but Vista doesn't trust you .. unless you can right click, because right-clicking is much more secure ... :O

-R

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Loading Autocad software onto wonderful Vista

Hi thanks for the reply, not sure how to do this to be honest, right clicked on the start icon but could see no way of changing the administrative option anywhere? am I looking in the right place?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hookins View Post
    Hi thanks for the reply, not sure how to do this to be honest, right clicked on the start icon but could see no way of changing the administrative option anywhere? am I looking in the right place?
    Right-click on the installer's setup icon, select Run As Admin.

I have AutoCAD MEP 2010 installed without issue on Vista, so the OS is not the problem.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    Right-click on the installer's setup icon, select Run As Admin.

I have AutoCAD MEP 2010 installed without issue on Vista, so the OS is not the problem.
    Hi Robert thanks for the response, that sounds promising. Ok so I now I can't find the installers setup icon? lol. I right clicked on the start icon but could not find it there? Will the software work if I alter this and try to open it again or will it possibly require un installing?

Thanks again!!

Login to Give a bone

Ignore the start button.
    If you're installing from dvd "explore" the dvd drive in My_Computer and find the installer.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jaberwok View Post
    Ignore the start button.
    If you're installing from dvd "explore" the dvd drive in My_Computer and find the installer.
    Thanks Jaberwok, I'll give that ago and see if that helps in anyway. From that I take it that I will have to uninstall the software and re-install.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hookins View Post
    Thanks Jaberwok, I'll give that ago and see if that helps in anyway. From that I take it that I will have to uninstall the software and re-install.
    It can't hurt and it may be worth following these instructions - just in case.

Login to Give a bone

Now i seem to have un installed Autocad, loaded the DVD and located the installer icon on the CD, right clicked but have no option to run as administrator?

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Loading Autocad software onto wonderful Vista

Brilliant that has been uninstalled now!!! when I try to re install from the CD all I get now is another bloody error message:-

.NET 3.5 is not installed!!!

I seem to spending every night trawling the internet for error messages, really not getting on with Vista at all. Never have any problems loading software onto XP.

I suppose it a case of over jazzing windows which has F@**ed it up, I was gonna go for a Mac rather than a PC now I kind of wish I had.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast