See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Speedy UI 2.0 :)

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Speedy UI 2.0 :)

EDIT***
    If you have the Advantage pack for Revit 2010 (or beyond) you need to go to page 5 of this thread for a working version, fixed and bugs found for later versions of Revit by MBalsom***

Ok,

I am done now. I have now combined the menus with stroke it gestures - you dont have to do that - but it speeds things up tenfold. All the 8 points of the compass will access each menu of commands (and zoom window / all)

{ALT} X
    {WIN KEY} Z
    and `

will run the menus as before and have the flyout option rather than using a mouse gesture.

There is a hover click option (ie no picking at all - just hover for a second and it autopicks - I have added a "hoverpads" version of the menus to give you time to look round without picking accidentally) - this means you are no more than 1 mouse pick away from any command you wish. I tried and didnt like it myself....

There is a transparency option for the menus... I also did not like this after trying it.

Both of these are separately run exe files, I cant take credit for them having taken them from Autohotkeys website and tinkering a tiny bit.....

I have added an AVI for a quick demo if you are wondering what I am on about.... it is being played at normal speed Its all a bit new to me too, ie 2 days! but you can see from the video that when you get used to it - it will be extremely fast to use Revit as opposed to pick, pick picking and roaming all over the screen.... I am happy to move the whole office now onto 2010 without expecting any slow down - infact I expect we will all be faster now!

http://www.autohotkey.com/
    http://www.tcbmi.com/strokeit/

PLEASE NOTE - IN STROKEIT YOU MUST DISABLE THE GLOBAL ACTIONS WHICH OVER RIDE EVERYTHING - IF YOU DO NOT IT WONT WORK!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Martin P; 2009-10-27 at 09:28 AM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Speedy UI 2.0 :)

I love the fact that Autodesk ****** away some ungawdly amount of money to come up with a pisspoor embarrasment, and a user took some freeware and made a well considered tool. Well done!

Gordon

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Many Thanks Martin,

Super effort and superb result. My hat is off to you.

Cheers

Ian

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gordonp.230665 View Post
    I love the fact that Autodesk ****** away some ungawdly amount of money to come up with a pisspoor embarrasment, and a user took some freeware and made a well considered tool. Well done!

Gordon
    Thanks for thumbs up for my effort, but to be honest I am not at all unhappy with the new UI myself - I have used strokeit, hotkeys, 2 key shortcuts, programmable mice etc etc for all versions of Revit. The new UI I find combined with my previous methods has helped me more than anything, I personally far prefer it to the old UI and am happy for the facelift.

I have never fully understood all the fuss, as after 6 years of using Revit as I have been IMHO you should not still be picking buttons and trawling ribbons or toolbars or menus to move or copy etc?? thats what a 2 key shortcut is for! or a programmable mouse, or fkeys or or or....... the buttons/ribbons/menus whatever come "out of the box" as I see them are for early or infrequent use, you then invest in hardware or software or time with 2 key shortcuts to move away from them - or get it free like I did - or you learn and edit the 2 key shortcuts which are also free - - If you use it daily,weekly,yearly - surely it is worth a couple of days sacrifice to learn some shortcuts or programme a mouse with 30 buttons or something? The small effort or investment to do it pays back a hundred times in a very short period of time. I believe there more people happy with it than there are not, and I am certainly one of them.

You are honoured to have my first and LAST post discussing the merits or otherwise of the new UI as I swore I would never be drawn into a discussion online about it!
    Last edited by Martin P; 2009-10-07 at 09:06 PM.

Login to Give a bone

How would you edit this to work in Revit MEP?

I modified the strokeit config to use Revit MEP instead of Revit Architecture, but I don't know what to edit to get the menu script to work with the gestures. Out of the box, only the ALT-X combo opens up a menu. Some of the command gestures work, like minimize, close, zoom all...
    Last edited by draftingking; 2009-10-08 at 04:22 PM.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by draftingking View Post

I modified the strokeit config to use Revit MEP instead of Revit Architecture, but I don't know what to edit to get the menu script to work with the gestures. Out of the box, only the ALT-X combo opens up a menu. Some of the command gestures work, like minimize, close, zoom all...
    Sounds like it is strokeit you need to look at to make sure it recognises you are in Revit MEP - I also always disable the "global actions" part of strokeit - that is important and I should have mentioned it as it will override any settings you have.

My set up for Strokeit is as the attached image. Let me know how you get on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by draftingking View Post

Ahhhh I think I know what you have done - did you edit the REVIT 2010 - or the REVIT 2009 section in strokeit? - It HAS to be the 2010 one you use in strokeit not the 2009 version for the menus, you can just delete the 2009 one - I am pretty sure you are using the 2009 strokeit setup rather than 2010.....

Login to Give a bone

oh wow, thanks for this stuff

I'm really digging the mouse motion menus =)

thank you thank you thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Martin P View Post
    Ahhhh I think I know what you have done - did you edit the REVIT 2010 - or the REVIT 2009 section in strokeit? - It HAS to be the 2010 one you use in strokeit not the 2009 version for the menus, you can just delete the 2009 one - I am pretty sure you are using the 2009 strokeit setup rather than 2010.....
    I edited the 2010 entry but didn't turn off the global stuff...

Login to Give a bone

Hey Martin,

You got me into Strokeit about 3-4 year ago....and I have been a die hard user ever since. When 2010 and the new UI was introduced, I mentioned Strokeit a couple of time on this forum as it is in my opinion the fastest way to enter commands...also the most fun. I see you use some of the same gestures as I do..i.e. "Z" for split. So you have been a big influence on the way I enter commands in Revit!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast