See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revit Videos and Self Promotion Guidelines.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Videos and Self Promotion Guidelines.

re: pricing for training videos.
    I think if it is priced in the range of a decent book, ($60 to $100) most people would be able to spring for it. Compared to in-person training it is a real bargain. Plus you can play it over and over without appearing dim.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey McGrew
    I'm actually making a couple of Revit tutorial Videos to give out for free soon.
    I'm sure our members will appreciate this when you do.

...I was thinking of making some of them available for free, some of them for purchase upon download...What do you think? Would you be interested in this at all? Also how much would you think would be fair to charge?...
    Please keep in mind that this is on the very edge or slightly over AUGI's guidelines on commercial posts.

(edited: added link) FAQ's LINK
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-11-16 at 07:28 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    Please keep in mind that this is on the very edge or slightly over AUGI's guidelines on commercial posts.
    Are these guidelines posted? Where?

It is not obvious why AUGI might object to commercial posts that promote products which are complimentary Autodesk offerings or help with implementation of Autodesk products. Thus, explicit guidelines would be useful.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    IPlease keep in mind that this is on the very edge or slightly over AUGI's guidelines on commercial posts.
    But I'm not promoting anything. I don't even have the things made yet. I was just asking if folks are at all interested in some Revit training vids, if it's something they could see themselves actually spending money on at some point. It's more market-research than it's really promotion...

Login to Give a bone

They are published under the FAQs. Historically it appears that AUGI had a lot of trouble with commercial postings and so they set out to quash all such posts. It is a grey area though and the moderators typically ask people to check their own posts if we feel that the post in question is too close to being commercial in nature.

It is generally less of an issue in the Revit Community Forum as we do not have an API or a plethora of commercial bodies selling families, I think the problem has been with people endlessly posting "this can be addressed by downloading a lisp routine from my website., Only five dollar.". That may change as Revit becomes more established and if and when an API is exposed to the world and so we are charged with ensuring that the guidelines are applied equally and that a precedent for a softer approach to commercial postings is not established.

Forum Don'ts
    • Do not post the same question to more than one Forum at a time. The term for this is "Cross-Forum Posting" which can be quite confusing and will complicate the Forum process. All but one of the posts will be deleted by the moderators.
    • Do not add the Forum or any Forum member's address to any mailing list.
    • Do not use addresses obtained from a Forum message for any personal or business mailing.
    • Feel free to discuss employment prospects, but do not post job descriptions or resumes in messages to the Forum.
    • Do not post advertising or self promotional material or links to them to the Forum. We realize that there is a gray area where it may be necessary to do so to provide technical solutions. We also recognize blatant self promotion. To advertise on AUGI, please contact the Augiworld Magazine staff.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

...market research...
    ...is commercial in nature.

Asking how much something would be worth to our members and talking about selling something is commercial. This isn't intended to be unpleasant, nor are you being singled out. Every post that is commercial in nature is looked at closely by moderators (not just our own, often moderators from other forums have commented on them before we have).

It just doesn't come up much in our forum for the reasons Peter describes. A recent instance is Chris Yearick's product. I'm sure that you are creative enough to come up with a way to ask your questions and still fit within the guidelines.

AUGI Guidelines
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-11-16 at 07:30 PM.

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

This is pretty much a recurring theme in this forum ~ almost justifying its own spot, so to speed things up
    Can this be made a sticky ? with links to previous posts ?

Methinks something like

"Revit Learning Experience"

where would it be placed though?

Login to Give a bone

The Forum Guidelines are on the AUGI Guidelines link posted above by Steve Stafford.

That should be sufficient, but its not something that most people will read anyway.

Login to Give a bone

sorry. didn't know that idle questions in a half-hearted attempt for some lazy market research regarding *potential* future commercial products that I haven't even started on was considered commercial use.

Just kidding. OK, I knew that commercial posting was out, I've read the guidelines, but thought I was still OK 'cause I was asking about folks interest in a future product to determine if I should even try to make it, not advertising or researching said product. Now I know that even idle 'market research' is right out.

For further clarification, what about posting about commercial usage of Open Source software? I'm working on a plug-in for Blender that allows for import of Revit models with Materials intact. I'm going to also produce a kit to get folks up and running using Blender and Radiance for Architectural models. I'm also going to be buying a CNC router table early next year, and once I figure out how to go from Revit to the CNC table writing a little guide on how to do that. I'm also working on a Project to allow Revit models, via Blender, to be used with Croquet. All of these systems, Blender, Croquet, Radiance, my plug-ins, my software, and my little guides are all Open Source, and Free, but can be used for commercial use. Is it ok to promote, research, and discuss these 'products' here on AUGI, because they are all Open Source and Free? Or is the fact that they will all link back to my (soon to be started) company's website, which will also have some commercial things too for sale, make there discussion and promotion 'advertisement' sense folks might, say, read my little guide for using Revit models for rapid prototyping and then follow the link back to my company's website and then want to hire and/or buy something from me?

I just wanna stay in the clear, and have a lot of irons in the fire as you can see. I'm starting a business, and part of that business will be freelance support, work, and consulting for Revit & rendering and stuff, as well as making things, doing design work, and more. So I want to know now what will and won't be OK, so that I don't in any way upset things.

Because I seem to do enough of that as it is.

All AUGI, all the time Roger Evans's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Why the cnc router & Revit? I'm intrigued

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast