See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Revit Videos and Self Promotion Guidelines.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Videos and Self Promotion Guidelines.

Steve,

I must take exception with your characterization of Jeffrey's post as being "...slightly over AUGI's guidelines" re commercial. Any regular reader at this forum will find an abundance of Jeffrey's posts with good solid knowledge and a helpful attitude. As most long time posters here, This body of posts in the aggregate counts for something of a reputation--judge for yourself.

I interpreted Jeffrey's question and speculation as suitable discussion topic. And yes, I would be interested in avi on rendering(Jeffrey must do this stuff in his sleep) or on families. And while I am at it, good avis about constraints, locks, and other Revit mysteries--occasionally boring but critical stuff. suggested title: Why is my window 10' away from it's home? And yes even if I had to "gulp" pay for it.

Before the switch to the auspices of AUGI, I voiced my concern that this forum should not be commercial; an attitude I maintain. Time has proven it not to be. However content, tutorials, avi, and such offered by known contributers, in my view, are welcome.

I could stop if I wanted to rhys's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford
    If our members believe that this particular guideline is not what we need to make this forum work, then we all should say so.
    Well I'd like to say so, I have no objection to relevant commercial content, and I'd be happy for the moderators to make the judgement of whats relevant. If its really a problem why not have a commercial forum.

All AUGI, all the time Allen Lacy's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

While I agree with the sentiment of most folks about AUGI "loosening up" its policy regarding "commercial" postings, we have to remember that we are the new kids on the block.

We Reviteers are a unique group within the Autodesk umbrella. With no open API (yet), there isn't much of a commercial market for add-on products, content, etc. other than tutorial books and videos. But imagine if AUGI changed its policy for all other products. It would be an advertising nightmare (a la AOL).

I think that Leonid has hit upon an interesting idea. Setting up a separate part of AUGI that could be used for this purpose, an expanded and dedicated to "commercial" ventures where companies could pay to advertise their services/products (AUGIWorld has advertisements in a print version, why not allow them to be done electronically on this site?)

My two cents.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Kroke
    These are pretty good. I got them from a link on this forum I think:
    http://www.dgcad.com/
    I just wanted to thank you for the link. The videos are pretty good considering that they are free! It took a long time to download a few of them, as there sizes were in the 145MB range. But it might of been worth it.

On another note I feel commercial stuff has its place but a separate forum may be the answer.

Login to Give a bone

Run away! Run away!

Anyways, I was posting not just to understand the guidelines, but also so we'll have some post we can point people to in the future outlining what's ok and what's not. Thanks to Steve and Co. in outlining the guidelines so clearly.

And I agree with the mighty L.Raiz, and think the best solution would for there to be a 'review' section of Augi, where folks can post their personal reviews of Revit products, and others can comment on those reviews or rank them and such. This solves the issue of how the Augi community can hear about commercial products. For I can make a product, ask a few friends to review it, they can post there reviews here on Augi, then folks can publicly agree or disagree or post their own reviews... (to help keep a balance, so that my friends aren't just acting as shills)...

And I don't do Revit in my sleep. I just don't watch TV, and I have a laptop that goes with me everywhere. You'd be really surprised how much time you've suddenly got for things once you get rid of the TV...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey mcgrew
    Run away! Run away!
    Well we now have R&D Lounge to discuss ideas...so no need to Run Run away...in fact...stay...stay...stay...(for BeeGee...sing to McCartney's Say, Say, Say)

Quote Originally Posted by lraiz
    This is a legitimate need and instead of ignoring it why wouldn't AUGI consider a possibility to setting up an area to address the need in a way that would benefit the user community at large?
    We agree and are glad to provide such a place now. Special thanks to Leonid, Marek and Jeffrey for expressing their views and helping us shape our community! Cheers!
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; 2004-12-21 at 12:13 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by David
    ...I must take exception with your characterization of Jeffrey's post as being "...slightly over AUGI's guidelines" re commercial...
    David,

I held off replying to you until I knew we could make this forum happen. Now that it has I hope the new R&D Forum helps you see it wasn't a personal attack on Jeffery nor that we even disagreed on the usefulness of this sort of discussion.

This thread helped us identify a need that AUGI finds itself much better able to address with the Forums than before. Compared with the email only guild system where it was paramount to avoid plunging members into a vortex of unwanted email.

Thanks for being vocal. Your opinion, along with others, helped create this new forum.

Login to Give a bone

I want to understand this whole thread Steve. This is the first time I saw this thread. Was this started in another forum and then moved here?

Is the R&D Lounge a place to talk about any commercial products or just commercial products that relate to Revit? Or is the AUGI rules still in full effect for the R&D Lounge?

I justed wanted to clarify, I skimmed through some of the responses in the thread.

Thanks,

Y

Login to Give a bone

Hi Chris,

Have you read Steve's " Welcome to the R & D Lounge " ? I think it should answer your questions.

This thread was originally posted in the Revit General forum and was moved here when this forum started.

cheers.

Login to Give a bone

As Beegee said...it was moved here. You are one of the "troublemakers" that gave this forum legs! Our primary focus is Revit naturally but I don't see your product as completely unrelated. It may serve the needs of our some of our community very well. They can provide valuable feedback to ensure it does.

As a member of our community and a long standing Revit user/early adopter it is great to see how you are growing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast