Thread: Using QTO with Bentley BIM data

Login to Give a bone

Default Using QTO with Bentley BIM data

All,

How would you use Bentley BIM data effectively with QTO?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Using QTO with Bentley BIM data

I assume that you can publish Bentley Microstation to 2D DWF Sheets and also as a 3D DWF....even if using DWF Writer? Just checked Microstation v8i's product data sheet....Not sure what 'Intelligent 2D/3D PDFs are and how they would react in QTO. If you can share/post just a 3D DWF from Bentley I could try bringing it into QTO and see what happens. QTO can also do 'Manual' Takeoffs by using PDFs somewhat like On Center's On Screen Takeoff (OST). I also noticed V8's Speedikon as having an Add-on QTO Interface.

As a Cost Estimator I use BIM Qty Takeoff tools (QTO and Innovaya) to develop 'Check Qtys' that are compared to other Qtys, mostly done with OST and then use these Qtys in Sage Timberline Cost Estimating. I don't currently use any of the 'linking' features to bring BIM Qtys to Timberline as I am hesitant to give too much control over to software.

Login to Give a bone

David you sound like a sharp estimator. Your company is lucky to employ you! The idea of not giving too much over to software is one that all the best estimators share. Hopefully BIM tools will help estimators generate, and more importantly, verify quantities that can be checked and cross-checked more easily and consistently over time.

3D DWF files from Bentley or 3D PDFs are not likely to give you the same level of associativity in QTO that you get from DWFs from Revit or AutoCAD Architecture. However, having said that, it's possible that the properties in the 3D DWFs might be readable.

If you send data to DWF through the DWF Writer, you'll get a less-intelligent file for sure. DWF Writer is a printer driver, and intelligent BIM data doesn't survive the printing process - it gets flattened. Best to avoid that for QTO purposes.

I'd like to see a 3D Bentley DWF also! Can we get one posted for testing?

Jason

Login to Give a bone

I am hoping to use a Bentley model in QTO as well... Has anyone tried exporting to IFC from Bentley, importing that into Revit, and then exporting to a DWF? I have a feeling you will loose random objects, but for walls, slabs, and basic objects the IFC should carry over most information used to generate a take off.

Login to Give a bone

unless i am mistaken it is impossible to create a 3D dwf from Bentley model....anyone else found that?

Login to Give a bone

Just a thought here guys.

It might not be what anyone has thought about but there is a pdf program called Bluebeam Revu that has shocked many of my clients. It's ability to create, markup, manage and control any file format pushed to a pdf has been amazing. It also has tools in its tool box that allows the user to do estimations and quantity takeoffs as fast as one would do it by hand or faster, but still keeping the computer "acquiring" process out of the loop. It allows the user to manually pick out materials or units of construction and then by adding features or formulas they would be able to put together reports and summaries of said QTO for other reuses. I strongly suggest looking into it for more than just the purpose stated here. I will post a link and let you check it out. http://www.bluebeam.com/us/partners/...k/sterlingsys/

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help.

Login to Give a bone

fobrien, if you're looking at creating something other than a dwf, say a pdf or even a 3d pdf, look into the Bluebeam Revu. It's printer driver will create a pdf from anything. Then use that pdf file to do your QTO and you're set. Check out the link I posted in the latest posting. Get back with me if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by fobrien View Post
    unless i am mistaken it is impossible to create a 3D dwf from Bentley model....anyone else found that?