Thread: turning off unwanted elements in linked view

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default turning off unwanted elements in linked view

I read with interest the various threads regarding making things unseen visible in a reflected ceiling plan. Now, in a floor plan, how does one turn off the visibility of say an architects furniture elements. Also, how does one check to see if the architect has any plumbing fixtures placed in his model.
    Yes, I know, but I'm relatively new to this. There's a big difference between acing a tutorial and doing real world stuff.

OK Just stumbled across the little check box called show ategories from all disciplines - that seems to give me the optons I need.
    Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?
    Last edited by ray.205827; 2009-10-12 at 01:57 AM. Reason: eureka!

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: turning off unwanted elements in linked view

You are also likely to want to be able to control the Architect's stuff differently than your own. For example, you might want to turn off the Architect's PLBG fixtures but leave yours on.

go to Visibility Graphics => Revit Links tab => Custom button => Revit Link Display Setting => Basics tab => Custom button => Model Categories tab => change <By host view> to <Custom> => Now...finally...you can make independent changes to the link file visibility settings

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    Now...finally...you can make independent changes to the link file visibility settings
    Makes you long for the good old days of using the layer freeze tool, no?
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Well maybe, but once I started using project navigator in autocad architectural, with the whole revitlike display manager thing going on, life got infinitely more complex, so it's a bit of a relief to finally get into the real thing at last. It just takes a bit of getting used to. I will say that having to work in two different versions (2009 and 2010) more or less simultaneously is way more stressful than just 2009 OR 2010. I have seen a lot of negative criticism of the 2010 ribbon interface, but having trained on that first, I do prefer it to the so-called classic interface. Only occasionally I want to do something and can't remember what I need to start to make the ribbon display the various options for that thingy. Then it's time to roll out the head banger emoticon.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can also use the TAB key to select the item in the linked file and then type VH. That's the keyboard shortcut for the Right Click feature Hide in View > Category.

The trick is to hover over the element and press TAB until that element is highlighted. Then use the keyboard shortcut. It does the same thing as going to Visibility/Graphics and unchecking the category. The keyboard shortcut EH will hide just the element instead.

To get them back...use the Reveal Hidden Elements feature (little lightbulb on the View Control Bar).

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    You can also use the TAB key to select the item in the linked file and then type VH. That's the keyboard shortcut for the Right Click feature Hide in View > Category.

The trick is to hover over the element and press TAB until that element is highlighted. Then use the keyboard shortcut. It does the same thing as going to Visibility/Graphics and unchecking the category. The keyboard shortcut EH will hide just the element instead.

To get them back...use the Reveal Hidden Elements feature (little lightbulb on the View Control Bar).
    To clarify - the method Steve is talking about works on the element catagory in the host view. So, for plumbing fixtures, this would turn off both the elements in the architect's model and the MEP model.

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: turning off unwanted elements in linked view

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    To clarify - the method Steve is talking about works on the element catagory in the host view. So, for plumbing fixtures, this would turn off both the elements in the architect's model and the MEP model.
    Hmmm... so it really isn't all that useful since it isn't affecting VG overrides nor is it "freezing" only the linked element's category?
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

My response was focused on the furniture elements he mentioned, something completely architectural. Different situation for elements that they are "sharing" so to speak. One reason why "rough-in" families are useful instead of putting another toilet or sink in the same place, just put a family that deals with the rough-in connection that needs to be coordinated with the selected equipment anyway. Semantics I suppose...toilet or "rough-in" it is still an element to place. RMEP ships with some, though they call them Connectors.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Smile Re: turning off unwanted elements in linked view

Thanks all
    Really helpful stuff.