Thread: Update Titleblock in sheet set

Login to Give a bone

Default Update Titleblock in sheet set

Maybe this can be done. Not sure. If not it's a definate wish list item.
    Is there a way to update the title block used for sheets sets? I have a project done. Ready to plot. I need to adjust a field in my template that is used for the sheet set. How do I update the project using the new template if the sheets are already created??

Right now I have to open each sheet and make the change. Is there not a way to update the titleblock after the sheet is created?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Update Titleblock in sheet set

That depends on what object the field is in.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by RobertB View Post
    That depends on what object the field is in.
    It was just a field placed in my titleblock template. My titleblock is a block, though.

Even if it was just a field outside of the block, and I changed the place the field got it's info from, how would I update a titleblock to use the new field after the sheet was created?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    It was just a field placed in my titleblock template. My titleblock is a block, though.

Even if it was just a field outside of the block, and I changed the place the field got it's info from, how would I update a titleblock to use the new field after the sheet was created?
    A field is not an object. What is the object that holds the field? Is that object then in an XRef, a block definition, or just an individual object placed relative to the actual titleblock XRef?

The individual object is the worst case scenario. The only way to handle that would be with some code. Unhappily, that is the common scenario when you are not using MAtts for fields such as sheet title.

The best case is either XRef, because one edit fixes all sheets.

The case of a block is ok because you can insert the updated block definition and sync any attribute property changes.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

A field is not an object. What is the object that holds the field? Is that object then in an XRef, a block definition, or just an individual object placed relative to the actual titleblock XRef?

The individual object is the worst case scenario. The only way to handle that would be with some code. Unhappily, that is the common scenario when you are not using MAtts for fields such as sheet title.

The best case is either XRef, because one edit fixes all sheets.

The case of a block is ok because you can insert the updated block definition and sync any attribute property changes.
    It's Mtext with a field for the date. I have a date property set up in my project details that it links to. That Mtext is part of a block, which is my title block.

The problem is Project Navigator doesn't Xref the title block when I create a sheet. It inserts it as a block. I know I can upate the block, or edit it in each drawing. But is there a way to do it through PN so I don't have to open every drawing to update the title block?

Just for my knowledge, how would inserting a new block work? I've always had any blocks with the same name take on the characteristics of the block that's already in the drawing. I would first have to delete the block, then purge it, then insert the new one. Is there another way to sync it with the new block rather than the new block syncing to the existing one in the drawing?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    It's Mtext with a field for the date. I have a date property set up in my project details that it links to. That Mtext is part of a block, which is my title block.

The problem is Project Navigator doesn't Xref the title block when I create a sheet. It inserts it as a block. I know I can upate the block, or edit it in each drawing. But is there a way to do it through PN so I don't have to open every drawing to update the title block?

Just for my knowledge, how would inserting a new block work? I've always had any blocks with the same name take on the characteristics of the block that's already in the drawing. I would first have to delete the block, then purge it, then insert the new one. Is there another way to sync it with the new block rather than the new block syncing to the existing one in the drawing?
    When you setup the project's sheet template, there is no reason why you cannot setup the titleblock at that time to be an XRef.

However, now that you already have sheets, it is going to be a different story. There is no magic button in PN to update a sheet's titleblock (all the more reason to use an XRef!).

You can update an existing block definition using a DWG file. You can do it either from the Insert dialog box or the command line.

If you use the dialog box, simply browse to the external DWG that has the same name as the block definition in the current drawing. After you select the DWG AutoCAD will ask if you want to update the current block definition. Note that after you accept that, the definition is updated and there is no need to continue with the rest of the insertion process.

From the command line it is a simple as:
    Command: ._-Insert
    Enter block name or [?] <>: Titleblock=
    Block "Titleblock" already exists. Redefine it? [Yes/No] <N>: _yes
    Block "Titleblock" redefined
    Specify insertion point: *Cancel*

(This assumes the Titleblock.dwg exists in the same folder (or search path) as the current drawing. If not specify a fully qualified filename after the equals (=) sign.)
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

When you setup the project's sheet template, there is no reason why you cannot setup the titleblock at that time to be an XRef.

However, now that you already have sheets, it is going to be a different story. There is no magic button in PN to update a sheet's titleblock (all the more reason to use an XRef!).

You can update an existing block definition using a DWG file. You can do it either from the Insert dialog box or the command line.

If you use the dialog box, simply browse to the external DWG that has the same name as the block definition in the current drawing. After you select the DWG AutoCAD will ask if you want to update the current block definition. Note that after you accept that, the definition is updated and there is no need to continue with the rest of the insertion process.

From the command line it is a simple as:
    Command: ._-Insert
    Enter block name or [?] <>: Titleblock=
    Block "Titleblock" already exists. Redefine it? [Yes/No] <N>: _yes
    Block "Titleblock" redefined
    Specify insertion point: *Cancel*

(This assumes the Titleblock.dwg exists in the same folder (or search path) as the current drawing. If not specify a fully qualified filename after the equals (=) sign.)
    OHHH yeah, redefine block. I knew that.

As far as using Xref's with PN, I'm still confused about that one. When I set up my title block template I set up tabs for different sizes and configurations. For instance, in my Building.dwt I have a title block for cover sheet, for 24X36, and for 11X17, each on their own tab.

When I create a project I can either have it prompt me for which template and tab, or set it automatically. So I create a new sheet. It asks for a sheet number and name. I hit okay and the sheet is created with my title block in it. At that point PN converts it to a block within the sheet. How would I just Xref it through PN? Before I started using PN I would have tabs for each plan, and one or two drawing files. I would use the Xref method and am very familiar with updating it once and reloading the Xref to update every tab. I just don't know of a way to do that in a project environment. Unless I'm totally missing something.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You could set it up as a view file. It would still create the sheet only the dwt file is blank. Then the view file (create separate ones for each sheet size you use in project default template and delete what you don't need) would just be dropped in like a normal view and any updates to the sheet template would be done once and done. We don't do it this way but we do use this method for our title sheet info. We create a dwt template for the sheets and the info for our titles are set up as views (we have 24x36 title and a 30x42 title). Hope this helps.