Thread: Auto Loading MNS files

Login to Give a bone

Post Auto Loading MNS files

I work for a MEP firm with 130+ seats of AutoCAD. We have several custom menu files that we locate on a network file. The problem we are running into is that every time we make a change or upgrade to these menu files the end users must copy the menu file to their local support directory and reload them. We have created a command that automatically unloads and reloads the menu files. This is fine, however there are days when we make several changes. We are constantly sending e-mails letting everyone know to update their menus. I guess what I am looking for is a way to have AutoCAD automatically look to see if there is a change to the menu files and if there is reload them.
    Any input would be welcome
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Auto Loading MNS files

Hi

Is there a reason why your User's can't all point to the same Menu files located on the Network (don't copy locally) and use them from the Network location?

With such a method once you Save and Recompile the Menu file(s) AutoCAD will automatically pick up the latest version(s). Granted a User would have to Close AutoCAD or Open a drawing file for the Menu(s) to reload, but that's all they would have to do.

+

Is it really such a problem if your User's don't immediately gain access to the newly saved Menu File(s), personally I would've thought as long as they have the most up to date Menu File(s) first thing in the morning when logging on, that would suffice for one day (they'd never be more than 24 hours out of date).

Sorry have to ask, how_come / why_do your Menu File(s) change daily.

Have a good one, Mike

I could stop if I wanted to LanceMcHatton's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Auto Loading MNS files

The way I do it, the menu files are on the network. I add their path to my list of support file search paths. I only need to do that on MY computer because I'm the one compiling them. After the files are updated/compiled, I make them read-only so no one else can accidentally mess them up. The folder they're in even has limited write access to certain users, so that helps, too.

If everyone is using the menu files from the network, they ALWAYS receive the latest updates automatically. We have about 250 cad users loading the company menu and no one has had any issues with it.

Good luck!