Thread: RAC 2009 - Yes/No Parameter in Type Catalog

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default RAC 2009 - Yes/No Parameter in Type Catalog

I am experimenting with Type catalogs and wanted to know if it Is possible to include Yes/No parameter fields in a Type catalog. I tried including using ##other## and then Yes or No accordingly for my various types, however it does not seem to be working. Am I missing something in my syntax/formatting to make this work? If it is not possible in this way, is there another way to handle these fields, as well as let's say just plain text fields?

I realize this may be a silly question, but just want to be sure, I presume a Type catalog can only control Type parameters, is there any way to control Instance parameters in a similar catalog/fashion?

I could stop if I wanted to Steven Campbell's Avatar
    The Factory - North & some times far East
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: RAC 2009 - Yes/No Parameter in Type Catalog

Quote Originally Posted by designviz View Post
    I am experimenting with Type catalogs and wanted to know if it Is possible to include Yes/No parameter fields in a Type catalog. I tried including using ##other## and then Yes or No accordingly for my various types, however it does not seem to be working. Am I missing something in my syntax/formatting to make this work? If it is not possible in this way, is there another way to handle these fields, as well as let's say just plain text fields?

I realize this may be a silly question, but just want to be sure, I presume a Type catalog can only control Type parameters, is there any way to control Instance parameters in a similar catalog/fashion?
    Very possible, you are close but instead of using Yes/No as the values it needs to be 0 or 1. Think of it as a check box where 1 is checked or yes and 0 is unchecked or no.
    I hope this helps.

Steve

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Ah, I should have thought of that. Great, thank you. I figured out ##other## does cover the text fileds as well.

Any recommendations for handeling instnace parameters in a type catalog? Or is this just one of the trade-offs of using a Type catalog that all instance parameters will initially assume the values of the active type in the family when it is saved?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

That's why they call it a "Type" Catalog. All instance parameters will be initially set to the default value as you surmised.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Understood. Though, I wonder if an Instance Catalog could have some value?

However, even if that is not necessarily feasible, something along the same lines, which I think can and should be changed is, why can't Revit while Placing a Door or other such Component, if you click the Element Properties it display the Instance Parameters as well? Why, do you always have to place the component and then Modify? I really don't understand why the extra step is needed, seeing as it already has all the information it needs and displaying and/or modifying them during placement should cause an issue especially in light of the fact that they are going to all be unique anyway. I suppose one arguement might be well what after you place one component, do all the instance values get reset for the next placement or instead assume the current values? That's a valid arguement, but I again feel this could be easily addressed by adding a check box to Reset Instance Values after placement, which if checked would do just that, otherwise would apply current values to all future placements until changed. Perhaps this would only work within a session, and I would be fine with that, as I do understand that otherwise a machanism would need to be devised to store the current values between sessions which would obviously be more involved, but heck isn't that what the Factory folks are paid to do, to think of new innovative ways to make our daily tasks easier?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by designviz View Post
    but heck isn't that what the Factory folks are paid to do, to think of new innovative ways to make our daily tasks easier?
    Based upon user feedback of the release of RAC 2010, I would say, "No". But the recent subscription Advantage Pack appears to be moving in the right direction.

Historically, the users think of the innovative ways in the form of wish lists. The Factory just writes the code to implement the innovation. Between the two events of "thinking" and "coding" is a triage process that determines what's worthwhile and what's feasible.
    Last edited by Steven Thedens; 2009-10-29 at 03:48 PM.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Understood. My hope is Adesk learned there lesson in releasing 2010, to not dis there current users and continue to listen and implement their longstanding productivity wishes/issues as well as adding some new capabilities.

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I wholeheartedly agree that instance parameters need to be able to be set BEFORE placing an object. I must be going bat crazy, because i would have sworn ive done it before, but i guess not.

Its not a hard debacle, either. I dont think it should change the default value for the next object... Since if you wanted all the defaults to be different, you would change it in the family (hence: default).

But its goofy that in some situations we can (walls, and the height showing up in the option bar...) and in most we cannot.

The NEW proposed hypothetical ribbon changes (posted on Inside the Ribbon's (Factory) blog) were missing something big from the ribbon.... The type catalog. A few of us in the office have been ASSuming that means that the type selector has been moved somewhere else. That, or they simply ignored it for the sake of the exercise. I doubt that, since the type cat. changes size, and would render that exercise useless.

The reason i bring it up is this: It stands to reason, the logical answer to ALL OF THE ABOVE, is a non-modal properties dialogue box. Its also the natural progression. BUT, it would stink to finally get it, and STILL have the instance parameters not accessible until after an item is placed....

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ill amend that. It should replace the default value WHILE youre still IN THE TOOL. For instance, it takes a DOUBLE escape to get out of the TOOL, a single escape to get out of current placement. IN MY OPINION, i think double escape would reinitialize the default value. But if im placing weld symbols, and the last one i placed was fillet, and im still IN the symbol tool, the next should be a fillet as well.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Sounds good. I think you are on the right track. Now how do we get Adesk to listen and move this from a thought/idea into actually being implemented in the product?