Thread: View numbers missing on every sheet in PN

Login to Give a bone

Default View numbers missing on every sheet in PN

Not sure how to word this, but it happens every time I create a new project based on an existing one.

In the sheets tab, there's a list of all your sheets (duh). Under each sheet there is a list of all the different model space views that you inserted, numbered accordingly. Well, whenever I create a new project based on an existing one, the views are all numbered. Once I open a sheet, the numbers and views disappear from the list until I close the sheet, at which time the views are listed without any numbers. I manually renumber them.

Why is it doing this?? The callouts in the sheets still show the correct number (they don't revert back to question marks). Is it necessary to renumber every sheet? Kind of a pain since I have 42 sheets in a set of plans, especially on the details sheets. Lots of views inserted on those sheet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: View numbers missing on every sheet in PN

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Dan,
    If I had to take a guess, it's because now that you've created a new project, you've also created new and unique drawings with unique views. The difference is, I'm not sure that ACA knows what order they were added to the sheet anymore since it's a new file.
    Have you Asked Adesk their thoughts? I'm just guessing that this may be one of those things that you "Can" do, but isn't recommended.
    Just a thought. Have you ever done this successfully?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Hi Dan,
    If I had to take a guess, it's because now that you've created a new project, you've also created new and unique drawings with unique views. The difference is, I'm not sure that ACA knows what order they were added to the sheet anymore since it's a new file.
    Have you Asked Adesk their thoughts? I'm just guessing that this may be one of those things that you "Can" do, but isn't recommended.
    Just a thought. Have you ever done this successfully?
    Not that I remember. When you create a new project, there is an option to create it from a template project, which is what this is. You're probably correct, though. I'll ask Adesk and see what they say.

Login to Give a bone

Well again, when they say "Project Template", I don't think they are thinking of you using an actual project as a template, But that you can create a "Project", from a "Project Template". No real data, but you may have some levels set up and same sheet names and some plans, but I don't think you get to have all the views put on them. Do you get what I'm trying to say. I'm still back on 2007 and haven't been using it much lately so I may be off my rocker.

Login to Give a bone

Well again, when they say "Project Template", I don't think they are thinking of you using an actual project as a template, But that you can create a "Project", from a "Project Template". No real data, but you may have some levels set up and same sheet names and some plans, but I don't think you get to have all the views put on them. Do you get what I'm trying to say. I'm still back on 2007 and haven't been using it much lately so I may be off my rocker.
    Yeah, I get ya. You're still off your rocker, though. I got it down to a few minutes renumbering the views. The weird thing is all the callouts still have the correct number. They didn't revert back to # signs.

Login to Give a bone

Now I'm thinking that it's and issue between the .apj file and .xml file being sync'd.

Login to Give a bone

Now I'm thinking that it's and issue between the .apj file and .xml file being sync'd.
    Hmmm. that's out of my knowledge base. Any way for me to check and / or fix it?

Login to Give a bone

The plot thickens. It appears that in the base project file, every callout references the correct sheet. However, in the newly created project, every callout references the sheet in the base file. The callout links are not being repathed. That's why the sheet model views lose their numbers (I think).

Now I have to figure out how to easily repath every call out.

The other problem is that the callouts are all pathed correctly in the base file, so there's really nothing to fix in the base project. Or is there?? I have no clue, but the search continues..........

Login to Give a bone

This is really starting to **** me off.

Okay, created a test project. Deleted and recreated 3 sheets (just to check things). Went to the view files that those sheets display and deleted all the callouts and reinserted new ones. Saved all changes.

Created another project using that test project as a base. Same problem. The new sheets and callouts reference the original test project. Now, the other sheets I didn't mess with don't even show any model space views listed. They are in the sheet when you open it, though.

Why would they have an option to create a project based on another one if it doesn't work!!!???

Just noticed that on my test2 project that I created from my test project, all the model space views are missing in my view file for the drawings that I updated the callouts in. Very strange.

*edit* never mind, I tried to create a new view, then all the other views showed up. This is getting crazier by the second.
    Last edited by dzatto; 2009-12-16 at 05:53 PM.