Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help w/ new keyboard shortcuts?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help w/ new keyboard shortcuts?

I too must be going crazy as I can't find the 'Temporary - Isolate Element' command anywhere in that dialog...anyone....anyone....

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

For some unknown reason they changed the default shortcut keys for temp hide to HR (instead of HH or HE). The shortcut list of commands can be really confusing as it is often too brief to explain each command. There are two similar commands for hide:

Hide:Elements (on Contextual Tabs >View Graphics menu) - that is hide in view
    Hide Element (on View Control Bar) - that is the temporary hide command you want.

You can look at the XML file in Excel to get a few more clues, but that is a hassle.

This is going to drive everyone nuts, for sure, as most existing users will want to correct the error with the HR shortcut. This method of managing shortcuts is much more powerful, but is not easy to deal with unless you spend a lot of time analysing how it all works.

Login to Give a bone

I've gotten a handle the "subtle" wording that differentiates some of the commands, which can be confusing at first. My question is that the "Isolate Element" command seems to be missing. If I open the Keyboard shortcut tool and select the View Control Bar (temporary visibility controls) from the filter, among the many commands, I see Hide Category, Hide Element and Isolate Category - but NO Isolate Element. Is is just my machine or what?

Thanks.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

You are not crazy - "Isolate Element" IS missing.
    I am going crazy - I can't read the difference between isolate and hide in this thread
    I will report the missing shortcut to Autodesk as my penance.

Revit Arch. Wishlist Mgr. Wes Macaulay's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for posting the SR on that -- that's a bug alright

And I confirm that F7 isn't working for spell check any more
    Last edited by Wes Macaulay; 2009-10-28 at 05:07 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Patricks, how did you get the "M+spacebar" to work in 2010 (before and after the keyboard shortcuts editor). I was able to assign / reassign the "letter + spacebar" shortcuts in 2009 but have had no luck getting this to work in 2010.

Note: We have not installed the service pack / advantage pack yet ... our CAD manager has been facilitating training off-site for much of our staff for the past couple weeks. I'm aiding him this week and have limited ability to do much testing untill I return to the office next week.

Login to Give a bone

The only way I know of to get M+spacebar to work for sure is to delete all other shortcuts starting with 'M'.

Another idea is to associate your most common shortcuts to the number keys ie. 1 for Move, 2 for Copy, 3 for Rotate etc (as I posted on my blog at http://whatrevitwants.blogspot.com/2...shortcuts.html )

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by luke.s.johnson View Post
    The only way I know of to get M+spacebar to work for sure is to delete all other shortcuts starting with 'M'.

Another idea is to associate your most common shortcuts to the number keys ie. 1 for Move, 2 for Copy, 3 for Rotate etc
    I think we have to say goodbye to single letter shortcuts (unless the factory gives us back a way to order them). If you create any single letter shortcuts (eg. numbers) it really limits your scope to add any two letter ones starting with those characters.

I have got it working well by creating double characters for my favourite shortcuts:
    AA - Align, CC - Copy, DD - Measure distance, MM - move, etc
    This fits in well with some existing ones like HH or VV. The only ones it compromises are MM for mirror and RR for rendering - these can easily be reassigned to MP for Mirror Pick Line and MN for Mirror Draw Line etc.

I like to use the keypad numbers for 3d view rotations - eg.
    11 for Front Left, 22 for front etc - as they logically correspond in location on the keypad to the viewcube. Is there a word for that ?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by BATx2 View Post
    Patricks, how did you get the "M+spacebar" to work in 2010 (before and after the keyboard shortcuts editor). I was able to assign / reassign the "letter + spacebar" shortcuts in 2009 but have had no luck getting this to work in 2010.

Note: We have not installed the service pack / advantage pack yet ... our CAD manager has been facilitating training off-site for much of our staff for the past couple weeks. I'm aiding him this week and have limited ability to do much testing untill I return to the office next week.
    Well at first I thought that shortcuts would go alphanumerically from the first character pressed. So in an effort to give Move a priority when pressing "M" I assigned "M1" to Move. Note: the old way was to just put my Move shortcut, usually MM, in the priority list at the top of the old KS text file.

So I assigned the M1 shortcut, but for some reason when pressing M after selecting an object, (M) A Match Type would show up at the bottom of my screen first. I never use the Match Type tool, so I just deleted that shortcut, and now M1 has priority, so I can just hit M+spacebar.

I tried the same thing with Copy, assigning C1 for Copy so I could hit C+spacebar, but it's not working. When I select an object, then hit C, the first shortcut listed is (C) M Component. Why it does that, I have no clue. If I hit C and then press the left arrow once, it goes back to C1. I don't understand why it would list CM first, unless it's going alphabetically by the command name instead of the shortcut. Component comes before Copy, alphabetically.

Revit Moderator
    Login to Give a bone

You can emulate the preferred order section of the keyboardshortcuts.txt file (with some exceptions) by editing the keyboardshortcuts.xml file directly. There are several ways to accomplish this; the following steps outline one rather simple work flow:

Create your shortcuts using the new Keyboard Shortcut dialog (which is a very welcome addition . . . thanks factory).
    Save your changes and exit out of Revit.
    Open the KeyboardShortcuts.xml file directly using your xml editor of choice (Notepad++ is free and works nicely).
    Cut your preferred shortcuts from the list and paste them in the order you wish them to launch starting at the top of the xml file.
    Save and exit the KeyboardShortcuts.xml file.
    Set the properties of the KeyboardShortcuts.xml file to read only (this prevents Revit from returning the shortcuts to their default order).
    Open Revit and enjoy

Please note the following: with the xml file set to read only, edits made using the Keyboard Shortcut dialog will only be available during the current session as they are not saved to the read only xml file. Should you need to save the changes simply export them to a different xml file or change the properties of the read only xml file. It is also important to note that if you are sharing your reordered xml file with others you must provide them with the read only version to overwrite their original. Importing / exporting of the xml file using the Keyboard Shortcut dialog results in the shortcuts returning to their default order.

One of the exceptions I have found thus far with regards to the manual ordering of commands in the xml file is as follows: Say you wish to assign DI to all of the various dimension commands (Aligned, Linear, Angular, Radial and Arc Length). Upon entering DI and cycling through the status bar options you will note that you cannot fully control the order in which the various dimension commands appear. Another related point to be aware of is that Revit will not display the shortcut of a command in the status bar if it is not available for use at the moment you began typing the shortcut. Using the above example: if you entered DI in a 3D view Linear would not be available from the status bar.

As others have already requested a way to order the list from within the dialog without resorting to the procedure above would be preferred.

Also a quick way to highlight duplicate shortcuts would be welcome. I enjoy the ability to overload a given shortcut but currently there is no easy way within the current dialog to troubleshoot these aside from sorting by the shortcut column. This falls short however in the case of multiple shortcuts being assigned to the same command (one of which may be duplicated by another command).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast