Thread: Drawing created with more recent version of CAD

Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Drawing created with more recent version of CAD

Okay, here's a good one that just started happening to me.

I'm using ACA 2009. I open a project and try to create a new view or construct. When I create it I get an error that says "Failed to read file (insert file path here)". I'm too lazy to type the path. Then I have to refresh my project to see the new view. Wierd.

So I click to open the new view and I get a message that it "cannot be opened because it was created by a more recent version of autocad, use trueconvert......"

I'm running ACA 2009, don't have 2010 even loaded on my PC yet. So how could this be? What the hell is going on??

It has me crippled because I can't create any views or constructs within my project. Help!!

oh yeah. I shut down and restarted ACA. It didn't work.
    I have it set to save as a 2007 dwg in Options>open and save tab.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Drawing created with more recent version of CAD

okay, after more research the plot thickens.

I can't even get a preview for my new view. It shows that the file was saved on February 4, 2002!! I'm assuming it's saving it as an older version for some reason.

Is there any way to set what file type PN saves the files as other than the pull down in the options>open and save??

Login to Give a bone

I figured it out, although I don't know how it happened. Apparently my templates were somehow converted to 2010 format. Weird since I don't have 2010 installed.

I saved the default templates to the network so everyone had access to the latest templates when we had more than 1 designer. Luckily, I also had a backup copy. I replaced the network one and all is fixed.

All I can think of is that when the IT guy built the image for 2010 it overwrote the ones on the network some how. Weird since it hasn't been pushed out to the workstations yet.

Login to Give a bone

I have never done a deployment myself, so take the following with a large grain of salt. My understanding is that if you have network-based content, that would need to be specified when creating the deployment and that the content would be installed to those network locations when doing so. If you (or the IT guy) used the exact same folder locations as your 2009 setup, then the template files (and any other network-based content files, like style files) would be overwritten if they had the same names. My office often has multiple versions running at any one time, so we have separate network folder structures for each release in current use.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dkoch View Post
    I have never done a deployment myself, so take the following with a large grain of salt. My understanding is that if you have network-based content, that would need to be specified when creating the deployment and that the content would be installed to those network locations when doing so. If you (or the IT guy) used the exact same folder locations as your 2009 setup, then the template files (and any other network-based content files, like style files) would be overwritten if they had the same names. My office often has multiple versions running at any one time, so we have separate network folder structures for each release in current use.
    That makes sense once the deployment is pushed out to the workstations, but why would it overwrite anything when you are creating the image? It's never happened before, but now that I think about it we might not have had the network folders set up prior to 2007. 7, 8, and 9 use the same file structure, so that's probably what happened.

Not a big deal as long as I know how to fix it!