Thread: Parametric Column Help

Login to Give a bone

Default Parametric Column Help

Hi All,
    I need some help from the experts out there. I need to create some parametric columns. I am using ACA-2009. I want to be able to create for example, an 8" square column, then be able to adjust the overall height of the column (96" to 52") for example. I know using profiles I can adjust the heights, but if i were to put a custom "Cap" or "Base" on that profile, I need that to adjust based on the Height/Length of the column. I've attached a shot of what I am wanting to do.

Thanks in Advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Question Re: Parametric Column Help

I am also wondering what the best way to accomplish this is using ACA 2009. Not only for square type Columns, but round type Columns as well. Obviously the problem with manipulating the height of 3D Solids is that certain features on the Capitols and Bases can become distorted so an AEC parametric approach would be ideal.

I found this older Architectural Desktop tutorial online that looked promising for the square column approach, however I couldn't get it to work properly. It seems like the design rules for structural members are somewhat "limited".
    http://www.sonic.net/~odin/Coverpage...ier_blocks.htm

Does anyone have any other ideas as to how to construct this type of object in a parametric fashion?

Thank you for your time.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parametric Column Help

Ahah! I think I may have found a way to do this using Dynamic Blocks with parameters and actions assigned to them. I need some time to play with this.

Edit:
    Well, Perhaps that might not work after all. Dynamic Blocks seem to work for 2D line work and not 3D objects.
    Last edited by dbrainard; 2009-11-05 at 05:29 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to Andy.88917's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I saw your post and that noone had given you any suggestions so I made a quick structural member to see how it would work.

I know it's not EXACT but pretty close.

What do you think?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Thank you Andy! That is pretty much the result I am looking for. So my next big question is, what's your process? It looks like you created some square shape profiles at different widths and used design rules to achieve everything in a "stack-up" fashion? I noticed that the rounded shape at the base was created using a body modifier - If you had created this feature at the capitol, would its height adjust with the overall height of the column or would it float in place? Will I be able to use this same technique for Round columns as well?

Thank you very much for your reply. -Dave
    Last edited by dbrainard; 2009-11-09 at 01:39 PM.

I could stop if I wanted to Andy.88917's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I just created some structural shape definitions for the different sized pieces of the column then created a structural member using those shapes at different sizes based on the design I thought looked right.

The round element is a body modifier which works great on the bottom of the column but to have one on the top it stays in place when you make the column shorter or taller so I removed it. If anyone has any ideas on how to make work around that then let's hear it!

Ya, it's VERY SIMPLE to make something like this for a round column, just make the shape definitions round!