Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make video's?

Login to Give a bone

Default How to make video's?

And by this i do not mean animating in what ever program. But the part after, the encoding part. I'm having problem creating video's of my animation that are high quality and easy to play back for my customers (if I can just give them an exe that they can install so they can play the video's it is fine by me) also file size is a concern too , preferred is a size under 10 mb so they can be mailed.

I have been looking everywhere for concrete information for my problem but can't find it. Does anyone has any tips for me, or any direction to an information source where i can find the info (book or website).

Greetings,

Sander Obdeijn

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to make video's?

You'll need a video-editing program to create a video. Well, not exactly, but I'll explain.

When I create an animation, I render each frame as an individual image (.tga, .jpg, whatever). I use a video-editing program (in my case, Adobe Premier) to compile all those images into a complete sequence. From there, I can specify what kind of compression, bitrate, etc. to use, including type of video (.avi, .mpg, .flv, .mov, etc.). The program will then render out the video based on the numbered stills I loaded. In most animation programs, you can render directly to a video file, but this reduces quality and gives no flexibility to make changes, etc.

Does this help?

Login to Give a bone

Would you mind explaining your choice of Premier over after effects, combustion or toxic?
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

No real reason, I had used it at a previous job years ago and just kinda stuck with what I know. I would love for something that was more streamlined with Max, but I haven't found the time to look around.

I think Autodesk may offer a solution in Combustion, but I don't know how well it handles video editing, encoding and authoring, which is my main concern, although I am interested in its interoperability with Max.

It seems very similar to After Effects (which I occasionally use).

I have heard of toxic, but I'm unfamiliar with it. Do you have a link?

Login to Give a bone

Toxic was built from the ground up to take advantage of a 64bit OS. Its now bundled with Maya and no longer available for separate purchase - therefore I have no linky. Check out Maya 2010 Compositor for more info ( http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112 ). I don't know if a new version of Combustion has been released since its 2008 version.

Login to Give a bone

Thank you very much I got a video. Just applied the windows media video 9 codec to the video since most people can play that i think and size and quality are ok.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Glad you were able to get it to work. Our workflow to a low file size animation starts with an image sequence that we create an uncompressed AVI from (either through After Effects, Combustion, or PDPlayer). That uncompressed file is saved for future compressions or video. To get the file down to a reasonable size, we use a little software called AVS Video Converter. It will convert any type of video to another (i.e. AVI to WMV or MOV) and gives you a variety of codec/compression options. I can get an uncompressed AVI to about 10% of it's original file size depending on the codec. Pretty slick stuff. There are other similar softwares out there tha will do the same thing.

Login to Give a bone

The encoding of my animations is one of the hardest times I have; I can't seem to get the right balance of quality and filesize, while using a codec that all common players can play. PITA.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by loydg View Post
    Glad you were able to get it to work. Our workflow to a low file size animation starts with an image sequence that we create an uncompressed AVI from (either through After Effects, Combustion, or PDPlayer). That uncompressed file is saved for future compressions or video. To get the file down to a reasonable size, we use a little software called AVS Video Converter. It will convert any type of video to another (i.e. AVI to WMV or MOV) and gives you a variety of codec/compression options. I can get an uncompressed AVI to about 10% of it's original file size depending on the codec. Pretty slick stuff. There are other similar softwares out there tha will do the same thing.
    Interesting. Where do you source AVS Video Converter from? It seems like trouble for spam, identity theft or worse based on the google hits that came up when I searched it...

Login to Give a bone

It's: http://www.avs4you.com/. And, yeah, it looks like a spam software site. Nifty program.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast