Thread: Considering Buzzsaw - looking for some advice

Login to Give a bone

Default Considering Buzzsaw - looking for some advice

Hello,

For the past 4 or 5 years my company has been outsourcing a lot of our design work.
    We have been relying on email, other companies FTP sites, files copied to CD, etc for "collaberation".
    We always perform design reviews at 30%, 50% and 75% and then we receive the completed package.
    It has gotten out of hand to say the least. So I'm looking in to the likes of Buzzsaw or Vault - not sure which one works best for us.

Basically we want people from my company to be able to view, print, markup files sent from the AE and we want the AE to be able to retrieve our comments. So one central location to keep files seems to make the most sense.

Since I'm not familiar enough with how Buzzsaw works, I have a lot of questions.

If we purchase Buzzsaw, we want our people to access it and the AE firms to be able to access it. The AE firms might be across town or in another state. Would the AE firm require any other software to access the Buzzsaw site or do they just need the site name and password?

We have several projects going on at one time utilizing our own staff and the other AE firms. Do we need to setup a Buzzsaw site for each project ot would we have one site and each project has it's own folder which we would set access rights on?

We would mainly be viewing AutoCAD files, some MS Office documents, and PDF files. Does Buzzsaw allow any type of file to be uploaded or downloded to it?

How well does Buzzsaw handle files with Xref's and Raster/Vector files (CADD drawings with scanned drawings attached to them).

Is this overkill for what we are doing or is Buzzsaw the best route for to enable us to ensure we are able to review files in an efficient and timely manner and a secure way of transmitting all of the deliverable?

Thanks for any advice any of you have to provide.

Don Jacobsen
    Energy Northwest
    Richland, WA

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Considering Buzzsaw - looking for some advice

drjacobsen, I think I have another solution for you.

I am in the Project Butterfly team, and I think that our tool might suit your needs. And for the next few months (6-12 possibly), at no charge either.

Project Butterfly is a Web-based CAD application that lets you view and edit CAD drawings online, without any software. What makes Project Butterfly different from other sotfware at Autodesk is the fact that it's a downsized editor (for now), and that is has features that accelerate the design process. I think you'll like them:
    Share - grant view and/or edit access to your drawings to invitees via email. Even if they don't have a Butterfly account.
    Co-edit: Two people working on the same drawing together in real-time.
    Review: In stead of sending DWG back and forth over issues in the design, review it in Butterfly right from the drawing workspace.

I will point out that each user has his own account and there isn't some sort of "workgroup" or company domain. This method allows for better discussion and collaboration with the AE firms. Simply send them an invite.

You will also be glad to know that you can upload any file to Butterfly and share it so others could download it.

This is where you start working on Butterfly:

I would love to get your feedback, and tell me if it fits your needs.
    E-mail me: asaf.sagi@autodesk.com

Asaf Sagi
    Product Manager, Project Butterfly.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Considering Buzzsaw - looking for some advice

And what level of liability/responsibility is the butterfly project taking for security and confidentiality of the data people place there? do the terms of the service deny all liability, or is the company stepping up to the plate?

To put it another way, if placing a drawing in your servers results directly or indirectly in a client losing money, what responsibility does the project take? What's the QOS guarantee? what's the security model?

Without that that information, cloud based services in the design world are not only useless, they are actively dangerous.