Thread: Revit & SSDs

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit & SSDs

The new SSD from Kingston, that will give decent SSD performance, 40GB capacity and a $100 ballpark price, looks like a viable boot drive for networked workstations that currently come with 250GB hard drives where 80% is usually wasted. I imagine that Revit will benifit greatly as opening Local files will get the same speed boost that boot and app launch gets, and I would think that having the swap file on an SSD would be great for a swap file hog like Revit. So, anyone tried Revit with an SSD boot drive on a desktop machine yet? Is it noticably better? It would be great to get a RAC 2010 benchmark an compare say, 7200 rpm, 10,000 rpm, cheap SSD and high end SSD. Inquiring minds want to know.

Gordon

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit & SSDs

I ran Revit from an 80GB WD Raptor 10K RPM drive for nearly 3 years. It's on its way out (I hear 10K drives don't go much longer than 3 years), so I just replaced it with a WD 640GB Caviar Black drive w/ 32MB cache. So far I can't tell much difference in speed, with the same 4GB memory I had before, although now I'm on Win7 x64.

Would also love to see how it runs on a SSD. Just don't EVER defrag one!