See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [2009] Conduit and Cable Tray (GRANTED)

I could stop if I wanted to sschwartz85916's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default [2009] Conduit and Cable Tray (GRANTED)

We need (not just want) electrical conduit.

It needs to be not part of the piping/plumbing system. No workarounds, no 'just draw piping and "make" it show on the electrical plan.

It needs to physically connect to panelboards, main distribution panels, large motor starters, motor control centers, transformers, run above ceilings, on the site in manholes and hand holes, up above ceiling and through fire rated walls, incoming/underground with conduit sleeves, to generators, up through floors from electrical room to electrical room above, from communications room to communications room, connecting to junction boxes and pull boxes at every 270 degrees (3 turns).

EMT, (Electrical Metallic Tubing), IMC (Intermediate Metal Conduit), RMC Rigid Metal Conduit. LB Fittings (or connectors?), Conduits run underfloor from in-floor receptacle boxes, to name a few. How on earth can we expect to do an enlarged electrical substation room and NOT show the main building feeders? This is a major electrical item to exclude, especially for interference detection.

Just how does interference detection work properly if we are faking in plumbing runs and making them show? I think this item should be at the top of the MEP list electrically.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: [2009] Conduit and Cable Tray (GRANTED)

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz View Post
    This is a major electrical item to exclude, especially for interference detection.
    I agree. But I'm sure that they are working on the assumption that (most) electrical plans are diagrammatic, with conduit routing determined in the field by the contractor. That also doesn't help when you need to show existing conduit on demo plans. Someday...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie001 View Post
    I agree. But I'm sure that they are working on the assumption that (most) electrical plans are diagrammatic, with conduit routing determined in the field by the contractor. That also doesn't help when you need to show existing conduit on demo plans. Someday...
    Homeruns are diagrammatic. One Line Diagrams or Riser Diagrams are diagrammatic. Not trying to argue with you, I am only trying to make a valid point.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

4-6" conduits are hardly "diagramatic", they need to be shown. I fully agree, Autodesk needs to incorporate this in their electrical package.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sgermano View Post
    4-6" conduits are hardly "diagramatic", they need to be shown. I fully agree, Autodesk needs to incorporate this in their electrical package.
    I _said_ most dwgs, not all. I'm on your side...

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Good and logical development for Revit mEp. Unfortunately simply using Pipe for conduit isn't really a solution because you have to endure piping/plumbing visibility behavior for conduit which isn't really the same thing. You can get nearly there but it deserves its own workflow and visibility rules.

I believe that their focus has been on attempting to replicate existing work habits, building toward the "holy grail" of a full complete model. Most or at least many do not "model" such things in their design documents now so the current battle is just getting folks to use Revit mEp at all, let alone take on all sorts of tasks they don't already do. I'm speaking very generally so please understand I'm not trying to speak for you and your firm's practice. If your firm documents these things already with your tools then you are already ahead of the "curve" and it is easy to see why you are ready for the "rest".

P.S. I also think the Plumbing discipline deserves its own discipline

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sschwartz View Post
    We need (not just want) electrical conduit.

<--SNIP-->

I think this item should be at the top of the MEP list electrically.
    This is really important for my design work in Technical Systems. Routing of conduit for specific signal levels is critical in the design phase for me to avoid interference from power feeders for example. I have been showing this routing since my first use of AutoCAD circa 1985.

Login to Give a bone

Having the ability to model conduit would be great, especially for demo/remodel work. Modeling it for new work would show that the routing of a large conduit is possible through a tight space but it's been my experience that no matter what routing I show the contractor elects to do it his way anyway. Just another .02

Login to Give a bone

Having the ability to model conduit would be great, especially for demo/remodel work. Modeling it for new work would show that the routing of a large conduit is possible through a tight space but it's been my experience that no matter what routing I show the contractor elects to do it his way anyway. Just another .02
    Hey Sparkie
    I know you're on our side here. :P Home runs from silly little receptacles are diagrammatic too, btw...

I have attached a sample of why electrically we NEED this... I think this photo speaks for itself. I also invite anyone else to give a visual example in any form so that our freinds at autodesk can help us out???!!! This is an actual project we did in 2d Autocad some time ago...

Pretty please with sugar on top!
    Attached Images Attached Images

ACA/AMEP Community Chair stelthorst's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Stacey,

I think you answered THIS question with this wish. As an electrical contractor all I draw is conduit and cable tray for coordination. HERE is an example of what I do.

I think Revit MEP is the future but for now will stick with AutoCAD MEP (AMEP). Revit MEP and AMEP are designed more as diagrammatic and engineering tools. I hope in the future Autodesk will see the potential to also make these programs usable for the physical representation of electrical systems and work on this aspect of the program.
    Scott Telthorst
    Quality Control Manager
    Helix Electric, Inc.
    www.helixelectric.com

Some see the glass as half full, others as half empty. As an engineer I see the glass as twice as big as it needs to be. ~Unknown~

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast