See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could anyone share their CAD Standards Manual

Login to Give a bone

Default Could anyone share their CAD Standards Manual

I am new to the CAD management game. I have been handling customizations, setups, troubleshooting etc. at my company since about the time I started a year and a half ago and was recently asked to write a CAD standard manual. I have a pretty good idea about what should be in there and what I would like to see in there, but would like a couple to look at as templates for writing and organizing my company's manual. I do not intend to copy the manual as we already have most of the standards in place, just not documented, I just would like some guidance on a format and making sure I cover the bases.
    I would also like to make this a training manual as well that gets more into how and why of the drafting/sheet setup, so any help in that department is also great.
    Thanks in advance, and all tips are appreciated.

Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrencerobinson5872708; 2009-11-10 at 04:04 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Could anyone share their CAD Standards Manual

Have you considered doing the manual online rather than a printed manual? There has been some discussion related to that here in this forum in the last few months.

For example, we are moving our manual to a wiki and when that is done, I will be adding XAML files to the CUIx files to point users to the wiki.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Believe me I would love to put it online. Unfortunately my company is not exactly forward thinking when it comes to using the web/technology. While I have recently gotten my company to buy new $3800 machines for out Revit users, we have a website that's not been updated since July 20, 2001 and it looks like it was 8 years before that. So for now I am going to have to do it the old fashion way.

Login to Give a bone

You are not limited to web-based technology. Others are using help files, for example.

If you are using AutoCAD 2009 or higher you can use XAML file(s) in the CUI.

I'm not saying a printed manual is bad (ok, I am), I'm just seeing if you have though outside the box.

(Printed manuals are "bad" because, in my experience, they are rarely read and just waste paper. With online manuals/help the user can print the stuff they often use and get the rarely used info at their fingertips when needed.)
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

Login to Give a bone

How do the XAML files in the CUI work? We keep up to date on AutoCAD so we're using 2010. I can see how they are helpful when it comes to showing how a command works, but how this would be applied to replacing a standards manual. I am all for getting standard and training information to people right through the program rather than a book, as you say it's more likely to be used. The only problem I could see with a system that would have you searching for answers to questions is how do people know the questions to ask without it being laid out before them in print. I am more than willing to think about this out of the box, just want to make sure I end up with a system that allows people without experience working with us to start up and have all the information available in a way that will be usable and helpful.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Ooooh XAML... something else I need to read up on.

Who says "online" has to be "online"? Print to PDF, or any other format in a read-only location, and throw in a link in the menu, or a desktop shortcut. Word and Adobe Reader are readily available and have all the required search tools. Leave the tech stuff like wikis until later when you have the standards format established and have had time to sit down with the IT folks.

And I share the sentiments about hard copies. As I always say, "Its out of date the minute it gets printed."

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by lawrencerobinson5 View Post
    How do the XAML files in the CUI work? We keep up to date on AutoCAD so we're using 2010. I can see how they are helpful when it comes to showing how a command works, but how this would be applied to replacing a standards manual. I am all for getting standard and training information to people right through the program rather than a book, as you say it's more likely to be used. The only problem I could see with a system that would have you searching for answers to questions is how do people know the questions to ask without it being laid out before them in print. I am more than willing to think about this out of the box, just want to make sure I end up with a system that allows people without experience working with us to start up and have all the information available in a way that will be usable and helpful.
    The XAML file(s) would be useful for documenting the tools in the UI, not the entirety of what a CAD Manual normally covers.
    R. Robert Bell
    Stantec

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Ok, back to the OP. Here is what I have developed so far. It started from what was already here when I arrived and was massaged with what I learned from here and a few other good "cad manager" web sites I frequent. It is never done so don't consider it a completed document.

I'll tell you this, I understand what you are asking. I needed a good example when I first started too. That is why I'm sharing this one with you. Most people don't want to give it out because they think it's sacred or something.

I keep this one in a hard copy printed form for those in my office who prefer that as well as a web site on our file server. I update both as needed. Some like electronic versions, some don't. The web site version gives me the ability to link to training videos on given topics or reference sites or what ever I think is handy. Just something to think about. Not everyone knows how to make web pages, not everyone who can make web pages make good ones. That includes me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Tim, for sharing this. Seriously, it's hard to find a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTim View Post
    Ok, back to the OP. Here is what I have developed so far. It started from what was already here when I arrived and was massaged with what I learned from here and a few other good "cad manager" web sites I frequent. It is never done so don't consider it a completed document.

I'll tell you this, I understand what you are asking. I needed a good example when I first started too. That is why I'm sharing this one with you. Most people don't want to give it out because they think it's sacred or something.

I keep this one in a hard copy printed form for those in my office who prefer that as well as a web site on our file server. I update both as needed. Some like electronic versions, some don't. The web site version gives me the ability to link to training videos on given topics or reference sites or what ever I think is handy. Just something to think about. Not everyone knows how to make web pages, not everyone who can make web pages make good ones. That includes me.

Login to Give a bone

thanks, I am in the middle of trying to write, and implement a hard copy and share point version of a CAD standards manual as well. 21 pages.....nice, this is a great help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast