Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering & Visualization

Login to Give a bone

Default Rendering & Visualization

I'm new to RAC 2010 and totally confused about the additional products used for rendering, walkthru's etc.

I demo'd Impression.....it didn't do anything for me....
    I demo'd VIZ but it wouldn't open any Revit projects....
    I demo'd 3dMAX but it appeared to be the same product as VIZ......

Am I missing something here? Can I not have a program that 'plugs-in/ to Revit products and do my walkthru's, rendering, stills, etc..?

I just purchased the whole Revit Suite including Structural Suite, MEP, Autocad 2010, and RAC 2010........hope I didn't make a huge mistake here........need someone to pat me on the shoulder and tell me it all works together just like the salesman said it would....

Jim
    Buildings + PLUS
    Indiana

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rendering & Visualization

I'm not a Revit user, but you should be able to export an .FBX file from Revit and open it up in max. I think there's file-linking and all that. Have you run into some problems with that workflow?

hth,

Login to Give a bone

The situation is: I've just retired (at 56) but I wanted to continue doing residential and commercial work from home. So I indulged myself with Revit Architecture, MEP, Structural, Structural Detailing, Robot, and Acad 2010.

In the past, I was a Sr. PM....with very little interaction with the draftmen downstairs....(who won't give me the time of day now that I'm retired...neither will mangement....I can understand but I no threat to their worldwide pocketbook). So I'm getting help from the best sources----those who actual use the packages. I'll try your .FBX and see if that solves the issue. Thx so very much for your help.

PS: Early retirement sucks....got burned-out on golf real quick. Burned-out being a green-thumb around the house. I have to have something to occupy myself so here I am.....

Design Visualization Moderator stusic's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Give FBX a try - that's most likely what the salesman was thinking about in terms of interoperability.

I think you're previous company isn't thinking straight; I've done quite a bit of work with the engineering firm I was a part of when I went out on my own. Bummer.

No offense, but I'm going to ignore your advice and try and see if early retirement really is that bad.

I could stop if I wanted to dellis's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You can also export dwg as well...there are a lot of good white papers out there explaining the different work flows and their benefits. Post back if you need some links! Good luck...and enjoy your retirement!

Login to Give a bone

I wouldn't give Impression the time of day.
    VIZ was discontinued some time ago, so I wouldn't even consider that an option.
    3ds MAX works with Revit in the sense you need to export your revit model to max via fbx format.

As far as a plugin that works with revit, well I haven't heard of anything yet. Revit uses the same rendering engine as 3ds max (mental ray) yet it is way slower than rendering in 3ds max.
    Steve Bennett |BIM Manager
    Taylor Design | Adventures in BIM

Login to Give a bone

Yes Steve,
    3ds is 4 times more faster that revit.
    Good work is via FBX or file link manager.
    3ds provide an interactive viewport render (hardware shading) for work interactvily with shaders, map, lights and more.

Also 3ds max design have the lighting analisys.

My suggestion is to improve our work with the interoperatibilty from revit to max.
    For more information:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8qYyhdxUqE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PORYxOXBVpg&NR=1

Autodesk Youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/autodesk?blend=1&ob=4

Bye
    Dario Passariello

Login to Give a bone

Thx gentlemen for your input. This 3d Max Design isn't so bad after all. I'm just wandering if I really need that kind of impact on drawings when eventually everything will be put to paper in black & white. Nevertheless, it makes an awesome presentation piece.

Now if Revit would make a utility for automatically building stud wall frames and roof trusses.......

I could stop if I wanted to Teresa.Martin's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpx2 View Post
    Thx gentlemen for your input. This 3d Max Design isn't so bad after all. I'm just wandering if I really need that kind of impact on drawings when eventually everything will be put to paper in black & white. Nevertheless, it makes an awesome presentation piece.

Now if Revit would make a utility for automatically building stud wall frames and roof trusses.......
    Um...actually, through the new subscription extensions, there is a tool now for adding studs and trusses in Revit Architecture.
    However, you said you had Revit Structure, so that has a truss tool in it and I would use that.
    Best regards,

Login to Give a bone

I know but the RST tool is setup mainly for steel. I haven't really had the time to find any work-arounds for that but I certain it's simply a matter of importing new wood truss 'rfa's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast