See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit Frustrations

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit Frustrations

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...uter+for+revit

I came across this relatively old thread in the Revit MEP section while searching for user recommendations to help me select a new laptop computer to run Revit Architecture. The frustration and anger expressed with the difficulties faced in the realities of implementing Revit are all too familiar.

Revit is an extremely complex program, but that is never emphasized by the sales people. We should not be surprised that they show us exciting little demos during which they accomplish amazing things with the click of a mouse. They are trying to sell us the software! (“But wait, if you buy today, you will also receive a Designer Snuggie at no extra cost!”)

The Autodesk Reseller classroom-style training, which is not cheap, is IMHO grossly inadequate. Family creation is presented as an “advanced” function! In fact, nobody ever learned any software (except maybe Quicken) by taking a four-day or four-week class, but the resellers continue to imply that that is all it takes to become a successful Revit user.

Successful implementation of Revit requires a lot of up-front planning and setup. The more users to be involved and the larger the project to be produced, the more up-front time will be required. Aside from the program bugs and just plain wrong stuff, many problems are caused by a lack of office standard files and procedures. Without overall and specific direction, users who are under the gun to complete a project will do things in whatever way they can figure out, and the consequences of doing the wrong thing can be very far-reaching in a program as complex as Revit.

Other problems are a result of the “bosses” not understanding the program. It understandably drives them crazy to see an incorrect wall join in a floor plan print, but their directive to “just make it look right” often leads the creative new user to spend way too much time wreaking havoc on the model and views. Coming up with reasonable and standard ways to deal with these graphic issues is another up-front requirement.

Another thing, it’s not necessary to abandon Autocad in order to implement Revit. In fact, they work well together and, with the aforementioned good standards and procedures in place, you can continue to produce much of the 2D content of the document set with Autocad while you train users on Revit.

And, by the way, the Revit “expert” who is not currently and actively involved in your discipline is doomed to be a disappointment. Knowing how to run the program is a far cry from knowing how to use it in conjunction with running an architecture or an engineering project, not to mention knowing how to run such a project in the ways your specific office works.

Revit will come along, but it won’t be easy.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit Frustrations

Ruth

I don't know if you know but on visiting your blog My McAfee Site Advisor pops up with 1/2 doz messages saying

" When we tested this site we found downloads that some people consider adware spyware or other potentally unwanted programs....."

Alan

Login to Give a bone

No, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info - now I just have to figure out why McAfee is saying that. Downloads on the site are all actually posted on Scribd - that must be it. Why is McAfee doing this to me?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

No popups on my end, but I don't have (and wouldn't use) McAfee...

Login to Give a bone

I'm not a fan but It's supplied by my ISP as part of the contract!

Login to Give a bone

Implementing Revit is like trying to assemble a swim team. You know who you want on the team. You want those who have a good TAR (Technology Absorption Rate), know how buildings go together, can identify good design and understand project milestones. This is your A-Team. Word gets around that the SWIM (BIM) team is being assembled. And way too many people show up at the pool. And before you can get any ground rules established, people just start jumping in. Some are swimming laps with no two people doing the same stroke, others try syncronized swimming, others are doing cannonballs, still more are just splashing each other in the shallow end. There's even a few testing the water with their toes while wearing duckie inflatables around their waist. A lifeguard is no where to be found. The people who have the talent to make this a great team are hampered by constant interference, and get frustrated.

"Isn't this great!" "Look at me! I'm bimming! I'm bimming!" "This is so much better than the kiddie pool." "Jump in, it's fun!"

This is not a slam against Revit, just one example of how frustrating it can be to implement.

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Like herding cats

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by sthedens View Post
    Implementing Revit is like trying to assemble a swim team. You know who you want on the team. You want those who have a good TAR (Technology Absorption Rate), know how buildings go together, can identify good design and understand project milestones. This is your A-Team. Word gets around that the SWIM (BIM) team is being assembled. And way too many people show up at the pool. And before you can get any ground rules established, people just start jumping in. Some are swimming laps with no two people doing the same stroke, others try syncronized swimming, others are doing cannonballs, still more are just splashing each other in the shallow end. There's even a few testing the water with their toes while wearing duckie inflatables around their waist. A lifeguard is no where to be found. The people who have the talent to make this a great team are hampered by constant interference, and get frustrated.

"Isn't this great!" "Look at me! I'm bimming! I'm bimming!" "This is so much better than the kiddie pool." "Jump in, it's fun!"

This is not a slam against Revit, just one example of how frustrating it can be to implement.

Hands down the best analogy for revit implementation I have ever heard. And damn funny too!

Login to Give a bone

No offense to re-sellers, but if you haven't produced a set of documents in revit you can't teach it. You can teach the commands and tools from canned presentations but until you use it for real work any training you do is only for big picture knowledge of what revit can do.
    Scott D. Brown, AIA
    Senior Project Manager | Associate

BECK

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

115% agreed Scott.

Having said that, implementing Revit is like implementing ANY new tool in a real world office. After two days of AutoCAD training you new how to draw lines and flip between model and paperspace, but then you were left having to figure out how to make it work YOUR way, or in a way you were happy with. Revits no different.

There is training to get moving in the software, and getting the office ready to use it. Resellers and 3 day seminars can do the first, but they rarely make much progress accomplishing the second. And while we may want to fault salespeople and complex software, ultimately that one is on us. We have to know what were getting in to before we jump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast