See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Accuracy of shadows - daylight saving

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Accuracy of shadows - daylight saving

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Page View Post
    The nasty thing is that NZ is two hours ahead of Australia and the "Sun and Shadow" settings automatically change the time to 2 hours behind!! The project location is still correct thou so if we do the Sun and Shadow diagrams here they are completely out - so we have to rely on our NZ reviteers remembering to change the time and also the Aussie reviteers have to remember to change the time again!
    You mean to say that because your computer's time is 2 hours ahead it changes the solar studies to 2 hours behind? So the aussie input of 9am became 7am? Why would it change solar settings within the program? Now that is a bug. I think..
    peter

All AUGI, all the time Alex Page's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebiff View Post
    You mean to say that because your computer's time is 2 hours ahead it changes the solar studies to 2 hours behind? So the aussie input of 9am became 7am? Why would it change solar settings within the program? Now that is a bug. I think..
    peter
    exactly....a bug

Login to Give a bone

Also - back on topic we are doing x3 Shadow Diagrams for 22nd June and x3 for 22nd December, results are all loaded on the same sheet.
    SO......I cant print one sheet out without either the December or the June ones being wrong.......(I have to export/import images with daylight saving button clicked or unclicked)

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Hi Alex,

I am not having the same problem as you.

In my instance, it is only the shadows where I had selected the daylight savings box which were changed. Other shadows (where the box is blank) still display correctly.

Thus I can put both daylight savings views and standard views on the one sheet.

Yours is a much bigger problem than I was having.

Cheers,

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Maybe Im doing something wrong then...isnt the daylight savings 'click' boc under "Manage Place and Locations" - On my Revit it acts as , say 'Type' based, not 'instance' based (ie: Its a project wide setting)...

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Maybe Im doing something wrong then...isnt the daylight savings 'click' boc under "Manage Place and Locations" - On my Revit it acts as , say 'Type' based, not 'instance' based (ie: Its a project wide setting)...
    Hi Alex,

I access the daylight savings tick box through the Graphic Display Options at the bottom lhs of the screen.

Typically, I would set up a number of views with different shadow times. When you click through the the buttons to set the right location etc I do end up at the manage place and locations, but the daylight saving button here only activates the one hour change for the current view and has no impact on any other view.

Maybe it is type based when access from the ribbon and instanced based when access from the view itself??

Hope it helps

Ian

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by iankids View Post
    Hi Alex,

I access the daylight savings tick box through the Graphic Display Options at the bottom lhs of the screen.

Typically, I would set up a number of views with different shadow times. When you click through the the buttons to set the right location etc I do end up at the manage place and locations, but the daylight saving button here only activates the one hour change for the current view and has no impact on any other view.

Maybe it is type based when access from the ribbon and instanced based when access from the view itself??

Hope it helps

Ian
    Weird...are you sure - on my PC it acts like I said no matter where I change it - we use 2009 but I checked with 2010 as well but I havent loaded in the latest patch....

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Weird...are you sure - on my PC it acts like I said no matter where I change it - we use 2009 but I checked with 2010 as well but I havent loaded in the latest patch....
    My apologies, you are totally correct!

This is surely a complete balls up and makes the whole purpose of the daylight saving button untenable. If we can't have shadows which are simultaneously correct for both standard time and daylight saving time, we cannot in any circumstance use this function.

AutoDesk - are you aware of this?

I now shudder at the thought of how many applications I have made which have been wrong - thankfully the council officers have, to date, not picked it up and as yet, I have not been grilled at the tribunal over any errors in shadows.

This button should immediately be either removed from the program or made to work on an instance basis.

Again Alex, sorry for the earlier inaccurate comment.

Ian
    Last edited by designs241018; 2009-12-08 at 10:21 PM. Reason: typo

Login to Give a bone

However, If I have this right, the work around would be to run with the daylight saving off, and purely set the view up for a one hour difference on the views that lie in a daylight savings period. I.E. for a midday scene in summer, plug in 11am. At least the view title doesn't carry parametrically your input into the time box.
    Would this approach work?

peter

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebiff View Post
    However, If I have this right, the work around would be to run with the daylight saving off, and purely set the view up for a one hour difference on the views that lie in a daylight savings period. I.E. for a midday scene in summer, plug in 11am. At least the view title doesn't carry parametrically your input into the time box.
    Would this approach work?

peter
    Yep,
    You are absolutely correct. This is indeed what I have been doing since becoming aware of the significant shortfall in functionality of the daylight saving function in Revit.

Pretty simple really.

Unfortunately, as it is, the whole daylight saving function in Revit is useless and in my view downright dangerous from a litigation point of view.

As at the time it wasn't a support request, I emailed Anthony Hauck at Autodesk directly expressing my concerns and suggesting he, or someone within Autodesk, follow this thread. I have had no indication if Autodesk are aware of the issue or not.

Thus from now on, I will manually adjust for daylight saving & forget that any such function ever existed in Revit.

Cheers,

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast