Thread: heat gain from windows

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default heat gain from windows

Hi

I am studying civil engineer and are use one semester to evaluate Ecotect and it results.
    I am having problems with the thermal calculations in Ecotect, because the calculated temperature inside the zones becomes too small. If I make a small room with almost 100% window it the sought facade the temperature does not raise to most more than 26 degrees (compared to other calculations the temperature should be around 35-40 degrees)
    I have tried to change the Solar Heat Gain Coeff. and other parameters for the window and the wall but still the result is not correct

Anybody that has had the same kind of problem or knows that the problems are? Hope that I can get some help.

Niels

I have attached the moel if anyone would like to have a look on it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by niels_thuesen007; 2009-11-26 at 11:42 AM. Reason: attachedment

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: heat gain from windows

Ecotect does not use Alternating Solar Gains correctly in its calculations (do not know why they have not corrected this yet).
    Bear in mind that what "approximately" Ecotect uses as the SHGC is the product of SHGCxVTxAlternating Solar Gain.
    My advice is to use SHGC value in SHGC field and VT=1, Alternating Solar Gains =1.

Apart from that, Ecotect's thermal calculation is based on CIBSE method, which expressely recommends its use only for cooling peak calculation. Not for heating, or temperature calculation or thermal simulation...