Thread: Reflections in Revit fbx import

Login to Give a bone

Default Reflections in Revit fbx import

I am completely baffled by one aspect of the file which produced the attached image.

It came in via fbx from Revit 2010 to 3dsMax Design 2010 (the background was just done via an Alpha channel mask in Photoshop)

I replaced the imported sun with a 3dsmax 2010 daylight system, turned on Gl, loaded an HDR image into the Environment and started getting nice reflections of the imported RPC trees etc.
    Probably played around with settings (as you do ).

If I import other buildings into this max file they all do nice reflections but if I create another from scratch, carefully trying to copy every setting the reflections don't seem to work anything like as well.

I've spent many hours trying to figure out what parameter might be making the difference between this max file and others but can't track it down.

I just wondered if more experienced heads could suggest the logical places to look for critical settings related to this ?

I realise this is probably a bit of a long shot, so thanks for any suggestions.

(and yes, I know the building is floating over the topo on the left end )
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reflections in Revit fbx import

hi

you can use the shader : environement/background switcher (mi)

and you place in to environement and effects ----> background------> environement map

loock at this ----> http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=97194

Bien à toi

Michaël

Login to Give a bone

That looks interesting.
    Merci beaucoup Michaël

Login to Give a bone

Hey there,
    It's anoying isn't it! The problem is with the material shaders in Revit. When bringing in FBX, the shaders from revit are imported over. Basically, the stock revit shaders are very poorly set up. Example: the standard cladded wall surface in revit has an internal element of 200thk for the sheeting rails that has a bare steel material shader attached. This means the whole internal face of the wall has the sheet steel material attached rather than just a few sheeting rails etc. I think the external finish is also the same.
    What you have to do is either:
    - Adjust the shader when rendered properties in Revit (This is in materials under Render Apearance) to something you want to see before importing the FBX.
    - Or you could do what I do and adjust on the materails that you can live with as the imported materials and change the ones that are more imortant in max... When imported via FBX, both Revit and ADT (ACD Arch) use ProMaterials. These can be amended or ditched for something better.
    Have you experienced the really bad tesselation with FBX files? I think Autodesk needs to have another look at FBX from Revit, they are big files and handle curves very badly, probably because Revit is not a native Autodesk product...

Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post
    I am completely baffled by one aspect of the file which produced the attached image.

It came in via fbx from Revit 2010 to 3dsMax Design 2010 (the background was just done via an Alpha channel mask in Photoshop)

I replaced the imported sun with a 3dsmax 2010 daylight system, turned on Gl, loaded an HDR image into the Environment and started getting nice reflections of the imported RPC trees etc.

If I import other buildings into this max file they all do nice reflections but if I create another from scratch, carefully trying to copy every setting the reflections don't seem to work anything like as well.

I've spent many hours trying to figure out what parameter might be making the difference between this max file and others but can't track it down.

I just wondered if more experienced heads could suggest the logical places to look for critical settings related to this ?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry mate,
    I don't think I read your query properly?
    The setting for reflections on the glass can be altered in the basic settings in max (or any other platform) under the basic reflection and refraction settings. If a promaterial, you may be limited to the template settings.
    If you want to copy any of the rendered apearance of one object to another, just apply the same material to the new object and also add a uvw map (from modifiers) and aquire the exact settings of the last material. This will make sure the scale (tiling etc) and position of the materials will correspond. If you're relatively new to max, just let me know and I will point out where everything is.
    Just a point to remember; real world window reflections don't actually work like a mirror (which is the easiest way to get reflections in max). When you look perpendicular to a window, you see straight through it and usually this is black due to exposure of the darker real world internal space and the externally lit environment. Relfections only occur when looking at an angle and this increases as the angle gets more acute. This will be based on the laws of reflection and refraction and should be set up in max accordingly.
    Obviously, if you haven't modelled any internal walls etc, you might prefer not to see inside the building.
    I always try to create a real world experience and windows are one of the main things to master and key to convincing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ws View Post