See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Flexible Duct Offsets

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Flexible Duct Offsets

Hi all,

Have you ever come across a time when you found out that your Duct is too high or too low? You may have found out that Structural model or Architectural Model forces your to change your duct offset.

Now heres the problem, well actually 2.

If the duct's offset is changed, why doesn't the round spigot also move with the duct? shouldn't the spigot be locked on to the centre of the duct?

And another anoying thing is if your duct offset changes, some segments or nodes of the flexible duct remain at high level. This causes the flexible duct to disappear into a single line due to extreme changes in height.

So I have to go to each and every nodes on the flexible duct and drag it back to earth. This is extremely painful when you have a system with 10+ flecible duct take offs.

It would be fantastic to see offset dialogue box for flexible ducts.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Flexible Duct Offsets

Sounds like the flex duct is displaying real world characteristics, whereas you want it to be more rigid, a contradiction in terms. Perhaps its a case of delete the old and replace with new - my mechanic does that to me all the time! He has a different take on R&R but what he charges enables him to get the other kind of R&R.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Re: Flexible Duct Offsets

Quote Originally Posted by ray.205827 View Post
    Sounds like the flex duct is displaying real world characteristics, whereas you want it to be more rigid, a contradiction in terms. Perhaps its a case of delete the old and replace with new - my mechanic does that to me all the time! He has a different take on R&R but what he charges enables him to get the other kind of R&R.
    Sorry I am not familiar with the term R&R?

I don't want it to be just regid, I know the importance of if I can't draw it, it won't work. Revit MEP's strength in flexible duct is that it tells you if its ductable in rea life. The space is required to give it a good air stream, bend, and turns. But its just so much work when changing the height of the duct and adjusting the flexible duct.

*curses architects and structural engineers*

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    Sorry I am not familiar with the term R&R?

I don't want it to be just regid, I know the importance of if I can't draw it, it won't work. Revit MEP's strength in flexible duct is that it tells you if its ductable in rea life. The space is required to give it a good air stream, bend, and turns. But its just so much work when changing the height of the duct and adjusting the flexible duct.

*curses architects and structural engineers*

How are you drawing your spigots?? The only way I know is to "tap" a circular duct of the desired flexible duct diameter into the side of a rectangular duct. It seems to 'create' a spigot-like piece, all-beit without the butterfly damper (if you want one of those). All that remains is for you to delete the rigid circular and connect a flex to it...hey presto!

By the way, you mention that the spigot needs to be locked onto the centre of the duct. While this is fine more often than not, it is not NECESSARY for it to be locked to the centre, and sometimes it may be desirable to have it at closer to the top or bottom of the duct. (See attached) The method I have described here appears to allow you to change the offset of either the rigid rectangular duct, or the circular duct, without effecting one another, while still maintaining connectivity.

Finally, I have no idea what R&R is either. Rock 'n' Roll? Rest and recreation, perhaps? Something we all need after toiling with this software....
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Exclamation Re: Flexible Duct Offsets

Quote Originally Posted by michael.crowhurst View Post
    How are you drawing your spigots?? The only way I know is to "tap" a circular duct of the desired flexible duct diameter into the side of a rectangular duct. It seems to 'create' a spigot-like piece, all-beit without the butterfly damper (if you want one of those). All that remains is for you to delete the rigid circular and connect a flex to it...hey presto!

By the way, you mention that the spigot needs to be locked onto the centre of the duct. While this is fine more often than not, it is not NECESSARY for it to be locked to the centre, and sometimes it may be desirable to have it at closer to the top or bottom of the duct. (See attached) The method I have described here appears to allow you to change the offset of either the rigid rectangular duct, or the circular duct, without effecting one another, while still maintaining connectivity.

Finally, I have no idea what R&R is either. Rock 'n' Roll? Rest and recreation, perhaps? Something we all need after toiling with this software....
    Yes, yes and YES Michael. I know it doesn't need to be in the centre, but say you have a 250x250 duct with 200 round spigot. I change the offset of the duct by 100. The spigot stay exactly where it is and doesn't follow the duct >=0(

Heres what I mean about flexible wiggles:
    Attached Images Attached Images

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    Yes, yes and YES Michael. I know it doesn't need to be in the centre, but say you have a 250x250 duct with 200 round spigot. I change the offset of the duct by 100. The spigot stay exactly where it is and doesn't follow the duct >=0(

Heres what I mean about flexible wiggles:

So how are you modelling the spigots? Did you try what I suggested?

I know what you mean about the "flexible wiggles". I imagine that the only remedy for that is to manipulate each one individually into shape....a painstaking process. If there's only a few I'd say it would be worth it; if you have hundreds on the project maybe you should just put it in the too hard basket and, knowing that because it's flex it will work somehow, don't worry about it.

Funny how invariably some of it finds itself either below the ceiling or above the floor above, so curious little pieces of flexible duct sometimes appear on the next level up. Praps there should be a maximum an minimum offset setting?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

There are many type's of ducts out there like insulated duct , no insulated duct , , pvc flexible duct which one we can use?