Thread: PN Sluggish

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Angry PN Sluggish

Running ACA 2009 running Project Navigator.

We have a medium sized project going out next week. Because of the rush we have 6 people working on the project through PN. All but myself (the CAD Manager) are experiencing slow performance. Some issues are:

1. "I have 5 files open at once, and it keeps giving me a Fatal Error when I close."

2. "It takes 30 seconds or longer when I place a model space view onto a sheet with more than 5 model space views already loaded." I think this has more to do with them having the View file open that the model space views are coming from. The best part is that the user removed the smart callout tags and manually placed the text info into them and then inserted the model space views. While this sped things up some (not much), it completely defeats the purpose behind the Navigator.

3. Why won't my text show in the sheet (She exploded a column grid bubble that had a text attribute attached).

I understand that not everyone has a fastest machine (we use Dells that meet Autodesk specs, but still their a Dell) or the experience to run things in CAD like an expert (which I am far from), but constantly complaining about these issues and wanting to return to the days of 2D linework is ridiculous. I need a break. Does anyone else have issues like these and if so, how the hell do you deal with these people without wanting to quit!

Oh well, by the time I figure this out, ACA 2011 will be out, we will have upgraded and a new set of problems will crop up. I wish I used Revit...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: PN Sluggish

Quote Originally Posted by tra1133 View Post
    I wish I used Revit...
    Do not expect that will stop the complaining.

Login to Give a bone

I think it is strange that only certain people are having these issues and others that are working on the same files are not having any of the same issues (or they just don't care).

We are having so many "little" problems that those that are experiencing them are passing me (the CAD Manager) up and going directly to the partners; sometimes without me knowing that the problem even exists.

The worst part is everytime these users do come to me for help, I have them up and running in less then 15 minutes...

Screw it, let them draft in 2d like they want to. I know how to work the system and get my work done in about half the time (sorry for the rant and bitterness).

Happy Holidays

Login to Give a bone

After looking further into this issue, it appears that any sheet and view file with a model space view attached between the two is causing the slowdown. Especially noticeable are the views with large amounts of model space views. Instead of breaking down details by type and then scales, we just break them down by type and use the two icons that sit next to the scale (Annotation Visibility and Automatically create a scale...) to turn the annotative annotation on and off as we move around.

An example would be enlarged plans and interior elevations are in the same file and set at 1/4" scale. Then casework sections (which I don't understand why we do these, but I digress...) are in the same view file set at either 3/4" or 1" scale and on top of that any small details that are needed at 3" scale are in there as well. It seems like a mess but if the Model Space Views are named descriptively, they are easy to get to. Unfortunately, this also can get out of hand file size-wise and causes a slow down when using the linked callouts and tags on the sheets. Any ideas (other than not doing this) would be appreciated.