See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Load Bearing Elements Under - Hatching

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Load Bearing Elements Under - Hatching

It seems to me that adding a "lower cut level" setting to the View Range would solve some of the problem. The current cut level would remain as-is: cutting through the walls and columns looking down at the floor and the framing of that floor. These cut walls and columns could them be set to a desired 'above' VG. The new "lower cut level" would be set a few feet below the floor, cutting through door and window openings and set to the desired 'bearing' VG.

No more maintaining several views just to overlap them resulting in questionable plot quality. No more filtering the wall below and having it hatch through the wall openings.

I could stop if I wanted to Adam Mac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I completely agree with swmarais on this.... filled regions and the like are the obvious "work around" BUT I think the Autodesk team probably have the ability to look at this issue and give us (eventually) the functionality we need?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

The answer is easy, allow Revit to hatch hidden elements. Whether it is easy to acheive within the current functionality of how Revit works is the main issue for Autodesk.

But if they can incorparate it, the functionality to hatch hidden elements will solve many problems currently present with structural documentation

Hopefully Autodesk can incorparate it into a future release

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

OK let me just clarify here.

Filled regions are a really bad idea. I was forced to do this on one project, and every time a wall moves you NEED to remember to move your filled region to suit. This is far far less than ideal, and it can be catastrophic if you forget to relocate your hatched region. Basically filled regions defeat the purpose of BIM entirely.

There are a million workarounds possible here, and I managed to come up with one that has worked for me on this particular project, simply because I have a flat soffit on every level excluding ground. So in this case it has worked for me and I am continuing in this project with it. However, it still is NOT ideal, it is NOT fast, and it is definately NOT easy or fool-proof.

What needs to happen is by "usage" if I select "Bearing" the element will have a display option where it shades a bearing element, and I can choose the shade displayed. If I set "shear" it displays a different hatch, if I select "non-bearing" it displays nothing.

I don't want to have to create 3 different views per level, if I'm working on a 70 storey high rise, thats 210 superfluous views I've had to create to document something that I must show on every project, every time! Lets just do the math here, 210 views times (lets pick a low number here) 5minutes setup time per view.
    210x5 = 1050 minutes (17.5 HOURS!!!!)
    17.5 hours spent setting up views that could be solved in a much simpler method.

Now that is a pretty large number and BIM is supposed to be all about time saving - I could do this Xref overlay in Autocad in about 30 seconds for each level. Revit makes this process slower, worse, harder to handle, harder to document and more prone to error.
    This alone should be ringing alarm bells with the coders.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Thumbs down Re: Load Bearing Elements Under - Hatching

Mmmm... and NO feedback from the Autodesk Team on this one yet...

Login to Give a bone

In our office, we use the duplicate view method and have found it quite good in 2010.....but just to throw another chip amoung the pidgeons, when we try to do the same this in 2011, it doesnt work!! This is very frustrating and I have not found a solution.
    We have our columns and walls set as transparent so it picks up the shading from the plan under, but it isnt working. Once the walls are set to transparent, then hidden line of the wall under disappears also.
    Is anyone else seeing this?

Login to Give a bone

Not using 2011 yet on any projects, but just tested a 2010 project with 2011 and printing to PDF gives me the same results when using the 2 plans "Workaround" with my verticals

Is it a project that works in 2010 and not 2011?

Login to Give a bone

Yes, it works fine in 2010. I have started a new 2010 dummy project to test also in 2011, but it has the same results.
    Still looking.

Login to Give a bone

Getting closer. As soon as you give the wall a pattern, it loses the transparency. So we had the coarse fill pattern in the type properties set to concrete and it doesnt work, but as soon as you have no hatching, it does. This is also the same if you change it from coarse to medium as it then takes the pattern from the material. It doesnt work there either.

Login to Give a bone

I have tried on a RST2011 project and didn't have any issues.
    A tip though - you can't use solid as your hatch pattern.

J

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast