See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: P&ID vs. CADWorx P&ID - Opinions?

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Smile P&ID vs. CADWorx P&ID - Opinions?

Can anyone comment on the subject applications?
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: P&ID vs. CADWorx P&ID - Opinions?

So far I am just OK with AutoCAD P&ID vs. CADWorx... we have been using CADWorx for a few years and it's time tested software package. The guys wanted to change to AutoCAD P&ID b/c cost and how easy it is to use... well the software is very easy to use but setting up the project is pain in the butt!
    Time will tell!

I could stop if I wanted to CEHill's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: P&ID vs. CADWorx P&ID - Opinions?

I too experience the extreme pain of setup where here was little documentation on customizing AutoCAD P&ID in its 2009-2010 releases. this included having to start one of many e-mail threads and eventually a conference call with its development management just to apply a customized process line specification tag. The double trouble experienced by me in my role of CAD manager and sole full version (read as P&ID creator and editor) AutoCAD user was that my productivity was effectively reduced by about 75%.
    I simply never recovered from my production deficit and simply was not given compensated time that would be required to customize the AutoCAD P&ID application to match our fledgling CAD standards.

Please consider the following point very carefully:
    If many files would have been created, the contents would not have been available in their native AutoCAD P&ID application DWG format to other company users for any type of editing without exporting to a vanilla AutoCAD DWG file.
    Even reloading a trial to attempt a conversion of a ACAD PID-generated created a messy vanilla DWG version. Messy in the sense of the conversion effectively skewing process lines and rendering the file useless.
    I wouldn't have believed that so much could go wrong until I experienced it.

We have used CADWorx P&ID Professional for about four years now with excellent results in a VERY round-trip ready, vanilla DWG file format.
    While drafting by our project (mostly chemical) engineers using AutoCAD Lite is rare, the round trip ability of CADWorx simplifies things immensely in our small engineering support department when it is necessary for them to do so.
    Plus, the database linking in our Professional flavor is being utilized in a pilot project that, when completed, will include CADWorx Plant and the CADWorx Internet Publisher application to provide, in a HTML file format, a complete design documentation set.

The best part about CADWorx in general is the investment that Intergraph, its onwer, is making since acquiring it a few years ago
    The initial efforts were directed at their Plant product which has improved significantly.
    CADWorx P&ID will get a huge update very soon (this year). I am really looking forward to the improvements in an already practical and efficient package!

Let me know if this is helpful to you.
    Yours,

Clint
    Hill

------------------
    CAD Systems Operation and Management
    Chemical Plant Process + Mechanical Design Focus Areas