Thread: Regarding Constraints, I should probably know this by now, but....

Login to Give a bone

Default Regarding Constraints, I should probably know this by now, but....

This is probably a real newbie question and I should know the answer, but it's frustrated me nonetheless.

I seem to spend a great deal of time while developing a set of drawings on fixing, refixing and re-re-fixing the locations of objects which somehow slip out of alignment while I'm working on something else.

I think I'm probably using constraints wrong, but I'm not sure how to use them properly. Maybe somebody can point me in the right direction. Since at least one set of drawings has gone out into the field with some messed up relationships, this has become more than an academic issue. Thanks for all help.

BTW, what's the difference between the padlock constraing and the pushpin thingie?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regarding Constraints, I should probably know this by now, but....

A padlock will constrain one object to another.

A pin tack will "constrain" virtually all aspects of an object.

If you want to constrain on object to another, such as a the alignment of two walls in plan or a foundation with a framed wall in section, use the padlock (the alignment command).

If you want to constrain an object permanently, use the "pin" constraint. This could work for grid lines and reference planes, for instance. It can also be used on other objects too.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Regarding Constraints, I should probably know this by now, but....

Put another way:

- If you want an object to stay where it is, use the push pin.
    - If you want an object to move whenever some other object moves, lock a dimension or alignment.

Login to Give a bone

Thumbs up Re: Regarding Constraints, I should probably know this by now, but....

Thanks.......now why couldn't they write it this clearly in the manual? Some of us old farts need to have things explained s l o w l y and simply.