Thread: Group trouble! I know the groups are there, but the "group list" is empty!

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Group trouble! I know the groups are there, but the "group list" is empty!

Can anyone help me figure out how to explode/burst/nuke those stealthy little ninja groups that are plaguing my drawings? I've now had this problem with two files from two different sources.

First, the setup: I pick one object, such as a text object I'd like to delete. Its associated furniture block comes along for the ride. If I hit delete, I kill both. If I deselect one, I deselect both. I was able to work around that particular problem by using quickselect and narrowing down to the text object and layer, then deleting that way. But I'm not so lucky on the second drawing, a flow schematic I need to bring into our CAD standards. I have subsystem strings of pumps, valves, etc. that need to be replaced with our blocks, but I can't separate them from their cohorts.

When I select the group, it doesn't say anything about it being a group. I don't know if this is normal, but Properties just tells me I have a bunch of lines, plines, blocks, arcs, etc. selected. When I try to burst/explode, it tells me no (after exploding the polylines and blocks for me). Nothing explodable. I understand this is normal for groups. But it still says nothing about a group. Thinking it had to be a group anyway, I used the GROUP command, which showed up completely empty. Nothing in the Group window, and the Group List is barren. I finally used the LIST command on one of the groups, and it confirmed for me that those sneaky little buggers ARE in there, with group names like "*A51" and "*A19." I presume that's auto-generated by AutoCAD, perhaps when copying groups in from another drawing.

So how can I break apart a group that doesn't want to be found? Is there any way besides the GROUP command? Is there any way to get them to show up in the Group List?

I'm I completely off track?

Thanks!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Group trouble! I know the groups are there, but the "group list" is empty!

You can turn off 'group mode selection' by setting PICKSTYLE to two or zero.

Quote Originally Posted by jgkerns
    I used the GROUP command, which showed up completely empty.
    In the Group dialog, do you have "Included Unnamed" checked ON? The group names you mentioned are unnamed groups.
    R.K. McSwain | CAD Panacea |

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Group trouble! I know the groups are there, but the "group list" is empty!

In the Group dialog, do you have "Included Unnamed" checked ON? The group names you mentioned are unnamed groups.[/QUOTE]

Hah, that was it exactly. Thank you!