Thread: How to get pipework to look three dimensional in Navisworks?

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy How to get pipework to look three dimensional in Navisworks?

Hi guys,

Just wondered if any of you knew how to get pipework drawn in MEP 2010 to show as 3D detail in Navisworks Manage? Am I missing something maybe in 'Display Manager'?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: How to get pipework to look three dimensional in Navisworks?

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hookins View Post
    Hi guys,

Just wondered if any of you knew how to get pipework drawn in MEP 2010 to show as 3D detail in Navisworks Manage? Am I missing something maybe in 'Display Manager'?
    Is it importing into Navisworks as wireframe or is it just not coming in at all? If it's coming in as wireframe, one issue to check is that if you are using AMEP 2010 and Navisworks Manage is running version 2009 or below, you'll need to get the OE off the Autodesk website. I had a recent conflict with this same issue. If that's not the problem, try exporting as a *.IFC format.

There is a Navisworks manage export plugin. If you are not running Navisworks manage on the same computer running AMEP 2010 then you can download the demo and have a 30-day working export just to solve the problem for the time being.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stykface View Post
    Is it importing into Navisworks as wireframe or is it just not coming in at all? If it's coming in as wireframe, one issue to check is that if you are using AMEP 2010 and Navisworks Manage is running version 2009 or below, you'll need to get the OE off the Autodesk website. I had a recent conflict with this same issue. If that's not the problem, try exporting as a *.IFC format.

There is a Navisworks manage export plugin. If you are not running Navisworks manage on the same computer running AMEP 2010 then you can download the demo and have a 30-day working export just to solve the problem for the time being.
    Hi Sorry for the delay in responding, Yes I am running both AMEP 2010 and Navisworks Manage 2010. It seems to be importing into Navisworks as a wireframe line rather than three dimensional as other services drawn?

Will i still need the Object Enabler to get this to work or should I be specifying something within MEP before exporting to an NWC/NWD file?

Login to Give a bone

Hi Sorry for the delay in responding, Yes I am running both AMEP 2010 and Navisworks Manage 2010. It seems to be importing into Navisworks as a wireframe line rather than three dimensional as other services drawn?

Will i still need the Object Enabler to get this to work or should I be specifying something within MEP before exporting to an NWC/NWD file?
    Hmmm, well I don't actually run Navis myself, I've only worked with other General Contractors in clash detection jobs and have run across this a few times. Are both programs installed on the same machine? If so I do not believe you would need the Object Enablers since AMEP 2010 is installed too, but that's merely my assumption. I personally would try to see if it does actually install for the purpose of Navis.

Also, try to just import the DWG file and don't export. See if that helps. And if THAT doesn't help, you could always try a last resort of using the CONVERTTO3DSOLIDS and select all the object in the drawing, which just dumbs everything down to Solids. This is just the steps I would try to narrow it down.

Login to Give a bone

Hi Stykface,

Yes the software is installed on the same machine, unusual as you would assume that the software should be seamless between the 2010 versions (dream on!!)

Hmmm so I could convert all to 3D solids and export, just wondering if it will loose information when viewing through Navisworks with regards to pipework information and pipework systems employed?

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Hi Stykface,

Yes the software is installed on the same machine, unusual as you would assume that the software should be seamless between the 2010 versions (dream on!!)

Hmmm so I could convert all to 3D solids and export, just wondering if it will loose information when viewing through Navisworks with regards to pipework information and pipework systems employed?

Thanks
    You will definitely lose the AEC Objects and the information attached, but like I said just try it as a stepping stone to narrow down the problem. Did you try and import just the native DWG file itself without exporting?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by stykface View Post
    You will definitely lose the AEC Objects and the information attached, but like I said just try it as a stepping stone to narrow down the problem. Did you try and import just the native DWG file itself without exporting?
    Ok I tried both bringing in the DWG file into Navisworks and converting the pipework to 3D solids in MEP but no joy with either of those?

I wonder if it is a setting within Navisworks rather than MEP?

Login to Give a bone

Ok I tried both bringing in the DWG file into Navisworks and converting the pipework to 3D solids in MEP but no joy with either of those?

I wonder if it is a setting within Navisworks rather than MEP?
    Maybe so. Try posting over in the Navis section of the AUGI boards and see what you find.

Login to Give a bone

This maybe a work around, hoever this has worked for me.

Export your Piping Drawing with a MEP Basic 2line display configuaration to a 3D DWF file, then import the 3D DWF file.