Thread: Demo door, but not Frame

Login to Give a bone

Default Demo door, but not Frame

Anybody got a good way to demo a door, but leave the frame in the wall?
    The only way I could figure out was to demo the door from the Existing plan and then add a Cased Opening in the New plan. That's not what we really want.
    All they're going to do in the field is take the door off the hinges, so I'm trying to "Draw it the way it gets built." (Sorry, was that mean?)

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Demo door, but not Frame

you would have to build the door and the frame as separate families. Probably use a cased opening and make a family that is just a door panel that doesn't cut the wall (the cased opening will). You can't demo part of a family. Or you could just use the cased opening like you were doing.

Login to Give a bone

Red face Re: Demo door, but not Frame

What you suggested is exactly what I would do, and in my mind isn't a problem. Another thing you can do, only if this is a normal practice in your firm, is to create a demo door subcategory in a brand new door (you just need to copy the existing door and change the subcategory of the panel) and put it under a new "Demo" sub category.
    Then you just need to make sure it is turned off in your new phase view and on in your demo views.

Again, if this happens once in a great while, no need to sweat trying to draw it the way it is being built (demo'd). Only spend more time on this issue if it happens on a regular basis.

Hope this helps,

Login to Give a bone

In the spirit of Luigi's idea I would probably just clean up th door using linework set to the <Demo> linetype and leave it at that, that would cover you for sections and plans, you might a have a very small ammount of redrawing in elevations to show what was behind but that would be about it. It might even make sense to switch off the door panel sub catgeopry in elevations.

I would only worry about anything more than these methods if you are going to come up against it regularly or you are going to need to see it in 3D

I could stop if I wanted to Tom Dorner's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

We run across this situation all the time and simply place a new cased opening with drafting lines showing the removed door. This is really not a true Revit way of doing things as it does not reflect what happens in the real world. (The door as Dave says is simply removed from the existing frame)

Another problem is when you do demo a door, the infill wall is the same as the wall type the door was inserted into. This again does not reflect what happens in the real world. I have a bunch of doors being removed from a 12" CMU wall where the openings are being filled in with 3-5/8" metal studs with a layer of 5/8" GWB each side. To make this happen in Revit takes some time to edit a wall profile of the 12" CMU, add the infill wall and use linework to show the demo door.

Just my $.02

Tom

Login to Give a bone

Tom,

Can you select the automatically infilled portion of the wall, and change its properties to be the metal stud/GWB type? I haven't tried but just had the idea.