Thread: Reading the .slog file

Login to Give a bone

Default Reading the .slog file

Is there any way to find out from the .slog if someone accidentally used "select all instances" then deleted items? I'm trying to figure out how all dimensions disappeared so that it doesn't happen again. The .slog file is a bunch of programmer jibberish. :P

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reading the .slog file

Not the slog file but you might be able to track it down in their journal file. Each user has a journal file here (typical installation): C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010

Certifiable AUGI Addict twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

You dont need the .slog file. Gather up all of the users Journals from C:\Program Files\Autodesk Revit Architecture 2010\Journals, for that day. Open the one that corresponds to the session of Revit that was opened during the time it happened, and Search for Select all Instances.

Worth mentioning: I find during user training, pointing out who did it, even if they are unaware (read: especially if theyre unaware) tends to alienate them and they get bitter. I would get the entire team together. Give them a quick explanation that SAI does not mean "select all instances in this view," it means "select all, everywhere, in every view." Then explain that *select all instances in this view* is currently on the wishlist for this very reason, because it trips people up.

Placate them so they dont feel like a dummy. The journal file .txt will tell you who did it, but im not sure that information will do much good, hehehe.

EDIT: Steve types faster than i do.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks! I was looking at the wrong log.

There is actually only one person working in this file. I'm more concerned with verifying exactly what happened, since this person swears it couldn't have been select all. If there is some other reason why these disappeared we need to know!

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Are there linked files and are the missing dimensions associated with the linked files? Does the user remember getting any error messages that said it was necessary to delete elements, dimensions being the elements?

Login to Give a bone

There are no linked files, only one phase, no design options or groups, and it was every dimension in the project.
    I did find the instance in the log that appears to be where all dimensions were selected and then deleted. It even gave error messages about constrained dimensions being deleted, so I don't understand how this could have happened without the user knowing.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Several of the users around this firm have gotten into the bad habit of not reading the errors and just clicking ok blindly, then when things are messed they tell me the didn't do anything and Revit is broken. Oddly these people are the ones you seem the most resistant to switching from Microstation to Revit. Not saying that this is what happened in your case but it something I've run into when people are insisting that they didn't do it and don't know how it happened.

All AUGI, all the time gwnelson's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by eric.piotrowicz View Post
    ...people are insisting that they didn't do it and don't know how it happened.
    Sounds exactly like my children