Thread: void reveal family instead of wall reveal

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default void reveal family instead of wall reveal

Like most people, the default wall reveal doesn't produce the results you want graphically in elevation, as the reveal cuts the wall and the resulting linework is too thick and troublesome to override...
    So...I'm trying to create a line-base void family that I can place in a wall and have it cut the wall. and combining that with a masking region and symbolic lines to override the wall cut lines...
    How can I do this and is it even possible?
    I can't seem to get a void family created that will cut anything.
    I've created a line-based generic model that is a void, but if I try to nest that into a face-based or wall-based family, it won't cut the host...
    Help!!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: void reveal family instead of wall reveal

Ok. I guess I was making it more complicated than needed...
    Just made it as a face based family (no nesting a line-based family)
    Made the void with an instance length parameter. Tell it to cut the face. and all is well. It just doesn't allow for the two-pick function, but you can drag the ends
    This will show in elevation, section, plan, 3d, and allows you to place it at any angle.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

So...is there a way to create a singular reveal family that uses <Family/Type...> parameters to control the profile shape? Can you do it without creating a bunch of Yes/No visibility settings?
    I'd like to be able to create one sweep and then define which profile family is used along the sweep path. That way I can load in the "Reveal" family and control what shape cuts through different family types, instead of having a separate family for each reveal type.
    Why can't I assign a parameter to the sweep profile as I'm creating the sweep?

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

This doesn't appear possible the way you want to do it... and I find that very strange.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

I think you would have to create all the different sweep families and nest them into the face-based families. Then you could use the <Family Type> parameter to choose which sweep you want to use for each type.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cporter.207875 View Post
    I think you would have to create all the different sweep families and nest them into the face-based families. Then you could use the <Family Type> parameter to choose which sweep you want to use for each type.
    Unfortunately, you're probably right. Seems like a whole lot of extra work for something that could be done with one simple parameter and a few simple profiles.

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by t1.shep View Post
    So...is there a way to create a singular reveal family that uses <Family/Type...> parameters to control the profile shape? Can you do it without creating a bunch of Yes/No visibility settings?
    I'd like to be able to create one sweep and then define which profile family is used along the sweep path. That way I can load in the "Reveal" family and control what shape cuts through different family types, instead of having a separate family for each reveal type.
    Why can't I assign a parameter to the sweep profile as I'm creating the sweep?
    One could hope for it in 2011, but as for now, it´s defenitly not possible.... you´re stuck with yes/no parameters for visibility, as your best option for now... sorry.
    Last edited by Munkholm; 2011-01-10 at 12:48 PM.