Thread: Can't change materials on some imported models

All AUGI, all the time DoTheBIM's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Can't change materials on some imported models

I have a family I downloaded and was attempting to customize the materials in it so that it rendered the way I wanted it to. While some of the layers I can change... There are pieces of the model that render as if there was a different layer (aka a different material renders), but there is no corresponding layer in the family to assign such a material. Can materials be preset prior to importing into a family in which they can't be changed via layer settings in object styles? It's the only thing I can think is going on. It can still be changed via the particular material in the Material definitions. but if that material gets delete there is no way to reassign a new material to that part of the geometry that I can see.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't change materials on some imported models

Hey there,
    I see this in some of the families posted on RevitCity, where they are CAD blocks and can't be modified.
    Other than that, I have nothing to offer.
    Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Steve

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Can't change materials on some imported models

Not sure if I follow completely...BUT...When the 3d family is imported (doesn't matter which software) the RGB value gets associated with the material (look in material editor for a number set ###,###,###, popular one is 255,255,255) those materials are the ones that these imports use....figure out which material is associated with which face...and modify the corresponding material...

I just now read your last line...not sure what happens if it allows you to delete the material...it's possible that it chooses 1 material from the list (i.e. default)

What do you mean when you use the word Layers? (i.e. layer settings in object styles, different layers, corresponding layer in the family)

Quote Originally Posted by DoTheBIM View Post
    I have a family I downloaded and was attempting to customize the materials in it so that it rendered the way I wanted it to. While some of the layers I can change... There are pieces of the model that render as if there was a different layer (aka a different material renders), but there is no corresponding layer in the family to assign such a material. Can materials be preset prior to importing into a family in which they can't be changed via layer settings in object styles? It's the only thing I can think is going on. It can still be changed via the particular material in the Material definitions. but if that material gets delete there is no way to reassign a new material to that part of the geometry that I can see.