Thread: Navisworks 2010 Hardware Requirements?

Login to Give a bone

Default Navisworks 2010 Hardware Requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by david.kingham View Post
    It's 64 bit but not multi-core
    Hi David,

Could you please help us - we are trying to figure out what our hardware requirements to run Navisworks manage 2010 effeciently are. Our CAD support people are waiting for autodesk to reply to them regarding Navisworks manage 2010 being multicore aware.
    We have ended up with mulit core machines but i have a sinking feeling only one one of the processors will ever be used by navisworks. We have 32 bit Navisworks manage 2010 running on Intel Xeon 2.66 Ghz X5550 processors , Quadcore with 3.4 GB of usable RAM (using the 3GB switch). Do you have some definitive statements from Autodesk regarding Navisworks Manage not being multi core aware (I believe you and my timeliner render error message back you up but it would be great to have a definitive statement)

Thank you,

Fionn

NavisWorks Moderator david.kingham's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Navisworks 2010 Hardware Requirements?

I have no definitive statements, but as far as I know multi core is only supported for rendering. Although overall quad cores seem to run faster than dual cores with higher processor speeds in my experience. So I don't think it's a bad investment and it will keep you prepared for the future. You may consider switching to 64 bit which will increase the stability of the software and allow you to use more ram in the future.
    Last edited by RobertB; 2010-01-07 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Fixed title after thread split

Login to Give a bone

Hi David,

Thank you very much for the answer..but I dont really understand what you mean by saying that Multi core is supported for renderring. Renderring is where our problems are occuring - when we render we can only use 25% of our processing power (we have monitored this and at no time will the processor exceed 25%) is there something that we can do to change this in the settings of Navisworks or Windows Xp?

To date when we try to render an AVI using presenter Navisworks crashes out, when we use Open GL we end up with a very low quality animation that wobbles for about 30 seconds and goes pink and flashy..

Do you know if it possible to do 'Network' renderring using Navisworks Manage 2010?

Thank you very much for your help.

Login to Give a bone

Just a quick update - we have upgraded to Navisworks Manage 2011, 64bit OS Windows 7
    24 GB Ram and 3.2Ghz Multicore processors.
    Using Ray tracing we are able to output presenter rendered images and video. If anyone has any informationon the best codecs to use on 64bit navisworks that would be great

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Hello, after a 90sec HQ film render test on 2012, I still have only one core working on my Dual Xeon's four ! (others are at ~10%)

Revit Use All of them without problem but Navis wont ! Have you find a solution ?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Revit and Navisworks use different graphics (and probably rendering) engines, even though they come from the same overall company. Its a legacy of the original products coming from different, independant, sources. For now, if Navisworks rendering is only single-thread then I'm not sure there would be anything that can change that.