Thread: CW - moving base up w/o moving mullions

Login to Give a bone

Default CW - moving base up w/o moving mullions

I am trying to adjust my curtain wall. I have 2 sections of CW perpendicular to each other that have a lot of horizontal mullions and hopper windows which are currently all at the correct elevation. Now the floor at the base of my CW has raised 1060 and I need to adjust that base to start at the new level. When I change the base it shifts all the mullions, and windows up, which I do not want. Can someone advise me as to the best way to achieve my goal?

Thanks.

Regards Peter.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: CW - moving base up w/o moving mullions

Been in this situation a few times myself and unfortunately its been a PITA having to indiviually re-adjust the the gridlines after raising the base. While I somewhat uderstand the behavior it bothers me that raising or lowering the top of a curtain wall does nothing to the position of the gridlines below. I've even tried to align the gridlins to reference planes but once the base moves everything gets broken.

Login to Give a bone

That sucks - so it's pretty much a redo! damn, I was hoping to avoid that. Thanks for the quick response.

I might just put a mullion where the new base is and add a foundation wall concealing the CW below. That would be easier.

Cheers Peter.

Login to Give a bone

You could add the new base mullion but instead of adding a foundation wall to hide the unwanted parts try replacing the panels below the new base mullion. You will have to delete the individual mullion segements that extend below the new base but you can tab to select the panels below and switch them to your foundation wall type. You might also need to adjust the offset (under element properties) for these panels to get the foundation wall in the correct location.

I could stop if I wanted to dfriesen's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

I have moved the curtain grids down by the amount needed, and then raised the bottom of the wall, with good results.

First isolate those two walls, then crossing select so that you select only the horizontal grids, and filter to make sure you've only got grids. Then in an elevation view, move the grids down by 1060, and then adjust your wall base.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you select your curtain wall, you should see a grid symbol close to its center. Clicking there will show a vertical and horizontal grid with the offset and angle for both the vertical and horizontal mullions. Playing with the offset there will shift down or up all your curtain grids and therefore mullions. Offset can also be found under the curtain wall properties.

Andre Carvalho

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Carvalho View Post
    If you select your curtain wall, you should see a grid symbol close to its center. Clicking there will show a vertical and horizontal grid with the offset and angle for both the vertical and horizontal mullions. Playing with the offset there will shift down or up all your curtain grids and therefore mullions. Offset can also be found under the curtain wall properties.

Andre Carvalho
    Thanks Andre. I must have looked at the a hundred times and never made the connection, I kept getting hung up on the base/top offsets and